How good? ATH-AD500/900 Air Headphone
Apr 3, 2004 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Vault

100+ Head-Fier
I'm spending a bit of time in Singapore this month and I took myself off to Sim Lim Square to gaze at all the new gadgets when I came across a store (Hung Bros I think) that stocked the ATH Air range.

My question is: Just how do these phones compare against the ATH-A900/500 range.

I understand that the Air range is essentially open, but what about the sound characteristics?

I'd really appreciate anyone's experiences or opinions. Your comments could cost me
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 15
Sorry everyone, on another planet.

I meant your garden variety Grado 60. On to the ATH Air range you can see them at Audiocubes here

Early sunday mornings, the head just doesn't work without 2 cups of coffee!
rs1smile.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks dj_mokok, that's a great thread.

I guess I'm making the decision based on being here in Singapore. I could pick up these Air 900's and a pair of Grado R60's for the same price as the A900's.

I'm just curious just "how" different the Air range sounds compared to the much recommended A900/A500 range.

biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 15
if you mean between A900 or grado rs60... A900 anytime of the day...

ps : A900 is not air series of Audio technica. they are closed cans..
the air ones are the likes of AD series...

Apr 4, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 15
both my A900 and AD5 still have very limited usage hours... so they havent really properly burnt in yet.
but all i can say at this stage is, for me AD5 sounds more closer, you will feel the music is more presented near your ears and A900 sounds more spacious. in other words, A900 beats AD5 in terms of soundstage.
i know its suppose to be the other way round ? hehe...

but really, for that kind of price, you cant go wrong with AD5.
however,
i prefer A900's sound for some reason.
feels like the music flows smoother for me..
but again, the headphones are only used for less than 24 hours, and i dont have high end equipments to fully extend the headphones' capability...
but they still sound great to me.
biggrin.gif

one thing though, i forgot where i heard it from, but i read a post saying AD series lacks bass punch (and ATH open series are not worth the money). thats not true at all, unless i think if you are a "boom-boom bloated bass" kind of person.

AD10 will costs you a lot of money, and i havent heard them before, but if they are not far better than AD5, then maybe its not worth the money... but AD5, for that kind of money, i reckon it worths every single penny you spent on them.

i think audiocubes have them for 99 bucks....

Apr 4, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #10 of 15
Thanks everyone! Especially dj_mocok for the comparison.

I'll do a bit more of a search for other threads. I saw the AD700 for Sing$ 139 which I thought was a bit of a bargain.

I went down to the Adelphi centre this morning to pick up a pair of rs60's but they were closed so my wallet stays safe! Until later this week!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Stoner
Is it just me or does the honeycomb cup design of AT's open cans look really ugly?

I personally dig it...

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 15
The back of the cups is damn ugly, I'd agree, but as a whole they look kinda cool...I am curious as to how they sound.

Apr 14, 2004 at 10:29 AM Post #15 of 15
sometimes you cant really tell the real appearance of the headphones from website pictures.
just like A900, at first i thought it was light blue (which i kinda put off but more concerned about sound), but it turned up the real colour is actually more of a very dark blue, and i was very happy with that since it looks much better on dark colour.

i dont know about ad700 though, but my AD5 "honeycomb" colour is actually more like silver than black as you can see from the website.
http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/prod...p/ath-ad7.html
and they look much better than in the picture.
also, the pictures dont really give you the impression of solid, professionally-built kind of headphones, but they really look much better when you see them yourselves.

if you want i can try to put pics of my cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back