how good are the meelectronics a161 ?
Dec 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

anonymous4a

New Head-Fier
hey guys, how good are these IEMS? I was set on buying them a while ago after reading some reviews here that praised them highly.. but recently I've read some negative reviews, specifically on amazon so I'm not sure how good these iems really are..

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
hey guys, how good are these IEMS? I was set on buying them a while ago after reading some reviews here that praised them highly.. but recently I've read some negative reviews, specifically on amazon so I'm not sure how good these iems really are..

I'm looking through the reviews on Amazon right now (3 star or under).  

First 3 Star review was a fit issue, the reviewer said it himself.  Although universal IEMs are made to fit about 90% of the population, you can fall into the 10%.  The result is exactly as he described, bad.  Different tips may help fix the problem though (review stated foam, which can help often).

Second 2 star review.  I believe that this user felt that he was mislead by the "noise canceling".  He was, they do passive noise isolation (and don't actively cancel).  He also stated the left side went out on him (which was a common problem with the first batch made; MEE seems to have fixed this problem; no guarantees though).  

Third 3 star review gives no detail to why 3 stars were given.

Forth 2 star review.  His rating goes after one thing, treble.  It's true that the headphones aren't the best with treble (many have stated that it rolls off a little too early, may not have the presence it needs).  That seems to be his main gripe with it.  IDK why he deducted 3 stars for it.  He states very little of anything else about the sound.  I feel he overstated the actual problem the treble poses with the 161 and read too far into the compensated graph.

All I'm really going to say regarding the reviews.  Beware of most reviews on Amazon, they tend to be single-sided giving you half of the story rather than the whole story.  

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 5
I had them and sold the because I thought the highs and upper mids sounded a bit muddy.  Other than that the bass was good and they had good separation but the soundstage was on the small side.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 5
OTOH, these IEM grew on me. For me this sound better (soundstage and dynamic) amped than direct from Ipod. My guess is, these like source with lower output impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back