How good are Stax headphones?
Feb 6, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #16 of 19
I’m gonna stick in my $0.02.

My first pair of headphones was Stax SRX-MkIII’s in 1976. I really liked the SRX’s and they gave good service for a number of years. I got my lambda pro’s in 1987 and they continue to be in use to date. I also have Grado SR-80’s which I do not use, Etymotic EP-6 to use on the train and at the gym, and some Stax SR-003’s.

I have never regretted my purchase of the Stax earspeakers. I really like the way they reproduce recordings. They have an ability to resolve the “sound” of a recording. So much so that sometimes even different tracks on the same album sound different in terms of sound quality. This is quality that I like. They also reproduce strings in such a way that you can, on some recordings, hear the sound of the steel in the string as well as the tone that the string makes. I can also count instruments with the Stax instruments, something that I cannot seem to hear with other phones.

In the years that I have had Stax, I haven’t needed to look to other phones except for other applications. I have a portable driver for the Lambda’s or the SR-003’s and I do take them out. It is heavy but “worth the weight”. I have not needed to listen to other high end phones because the Stax are entirely satisfactory. This summer I plan to purchase the SR-404 and retire the Lambda Pro’s. Oh yeah, they are comfortable too. Negative side: my wife can hear the lambda pro’s too. She cannot hear the SR-003’s as much.

My equipment isn't the end all of high end but that does not matter. The Stax have dynamic headroom to spare. They do not suffer for "one note bass". They have the ability to play real soft without missing detail and real loud without distorting. In my opinion, with Stax you will not go wrong.

Feb 6, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #17 of 19
The RS-1's can be driven by a cd player, without an amp---but they shine with an amp. The good thing about this is that you can buy your set up in two parts. You can make do without the amp until you have enough money to buy it.
Eventually you will want to have a good source---but you do have to start somewhere. Either of these two headphones will make you go that way--congratulations you've just started a vicious cycle
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #18 of 19
here's a better analogy:
what your doing is like buying a puny little honda civics and shoving a tank turbine inside it. sure the engine is nice and strong but all the other parts of the setup renders the engine useless.

good headphones + good amp + good source + good cabling = good sound

good headphones + no amp + crap source = crap sound

either buy some more portable headphones (Er4, e3c etc) for your portable listening or buy a nice source and nice amp and nice headphones for your at home listening.

NOTE: if you do end up getting an RS-1 they are NOT PORTABLE HEADPHONES and you will not only hear a lot of outside noise but also have a great risk of breaking the headphones(and your wallet)

Feb 7, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #19 of 19
RS-1s sounded great out of my d-777.

my hp-2s (with their higher impedance) sound great too, and still plenty loud.

i haven't heard staxs yet, and im going to eventually, but if you get RS-1s, dump the mp3 player and get a vintage pcdp.

a good amp is a must for a good home source, but a d-211 or a d-777 etc. would do great out their headphone out (imho)

f

Users who are viewing this thread

Back