How Good are shure E2s for the price?
Nov 20, 2005 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Ive read many comments from posters that they have a tunnel like sound to them but want to hear especially from headfiers with lots of iem experience so that I'm sure I'm getting accurate comments and that they are evaluated while having a correct seal. feel free to compare them with expensive iems too so that I will know what it lacks compared to those.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 25
For the price, they are fantastic. They're not as clear as higher end IEM's, but they have a pleasant bass (not detailed, but pleasant) and are fun to listen to if you need isolation. I used to get a great seal with the foamies.

When I went to E3's, I felt they were significantly better....but I still recommend the E2's to friends who freak out at spending too much on headphones.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 25
Don't like them. For sound quality, I'd take my KSC-75/35 or E888s over them. For a bit of isolation, I'd take EP-630. Only on planes and stuff like that is anything like an E2c worthwhile, and even then I don't feel the SQ is up to snuff. It's the only IEM I feel that way about, though (haven't heard the cheap Westone and UE offerings) - the others up the Shure/Ety scale are worthwhile in their own right.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 25
The Shure E2Cs are great IEMs for the incredibly low price. I find the highs to be detailed and the lows to be acceptable. The mid frequencies could do with a slight boost however. The E2s have an overall great sound. My only problem with them has been getting a good seal. The sound is horrible if the seal is not there. Some experimentation with the included foam and flex sleeves should yield good results if you have average size ears. They are easily powered by a portable player, which is what I primarily use them for, but they also benefit from the use of an amp. I was astounded as to the difference when I plugged them into my HeadRoom Micro amp which costs roughly three times the price of the E2s. Overall, I feel that at this price the value is difficult to beat.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 25
they are PERFECT for me. They happen to fit in my ear as if they were custom made. The sound is on a middle ground (expected for the price). The bass is not muddy like some describe (what the heck is muddy...a 12'' subwoofer with no treble playing a Gibson at neck pickup with the tone knob all the way down is muddy). The e2c is not muddy. It is decent, and I am happy with it.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 25
For the price paid, they are a significant upgrade from stock style earbuds in both comfort and SQ. A very good introduction to Head-fi gear for the un-iniated.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 25
I think their value is horrible. I didn't enjoy listening on them one bit, and returned them within a week of buying them. I was using them primarily as sport phones, and prefer the sound of my $10 Sony h.ear J10's over the E2c. The mids are just unexciting, and the bass is wimpy.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
Did you try putting them in your ears?

Woah, ditto. I would consider the E2's bass to be far from wimpy.
biggrin.gif
The E2 isn't very difficult to form a good seal either (at least for me
tongue.gif
). Weird...

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #10 of 25
It feels like there is a fair bit of hate for the e2cs on this forum, but in my experience they are a very decent earphone for the price; pretty good detail, bass is fairly balanced. I got them to replace my EX-71s when they broke, and they certainly sound better to my non-audiophile ears. The one proviso I'd add is that the supplied foams and hard inserts were completely useless for me, if not downright uncomfortable. I got some silicone buds for them instead and these are 100X better, with decent isolation and very comfortable.

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 25
I have owned the e2c's for a while, and run them directly from an iRiver H320. I use them when walking around campus, and they work wonderfully. I've had some problems with the right earpiece, I believe it is the wire that is starting to go out (probably my fault for not keeping them in the best care), and I used them throughout the summer as well. Excellent IEM's (I've never tried others, so I guess I can't give you a comparison) if you are on a budget and are looking for good isolation and pretty good sound (don't expect HD650 quality here), they are exactly what you need for what they are... portable, isolation, and cheap.

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockFan
I have owned the e2c's for a while, and run them directly from an iRiver H320. I use them when walking around campus, and they work wonderfully. I've had some problems with the right earpiece, I believe it is the wire that is starting to go out (probably my fault for not keeping them in the best care), and I used them throughout the summer as well. Excellent IEM's (I've never tried others, so I guess I can't give you a comparison) if you are on a budget and are looking for good isolation and pretty good sound (don't expect HD650 quality here), they are exactly what you need for what they are... portable, isolation, and cheap.

Send them to Shure, they will exchange them under warranty. Shure has a great service reputation

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 25
They are ok for the price. If isolation is important, then it's a decent choice, but imo, the sound isn't the greatest for what you pay for them. I much prefer my Koss KSC-75's when isolation is not a factor. The dremel mod helps alleviate the tunnel-like sound a bit, so keep that in mind if you end up purchasing them.

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 25
Note that in europe they sell for 90€.
Thats three times the price of MD 33/ Creative 630, which i consider better every way: more informative bass, more detailed mids, sadly too bright/ metallic highs. 90€ also means for me, they should play in the same league than Etymotics, which i think they don´t.
If you´re looking for balanced, detailed sound, the E2c just suck i think. I hated them. I even liked the Sony MDR 70 better. At least they tried to pretend to have some treble.

Maybe as a IEM for live playing musicians, the sound signature is making sense cause you can hear them louder without otherwise painfull treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back