How fragile are the Shure SE530's?
Mar 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GabeJacobs

New Head-Fier
I've read around the forum that the Shure SE530 are really fragile. Maybe it has to do with the wiring falling apart, etc.

My question is, how careful do I exactly have to be with thee beauties. I like to just stuff my headphones in my jeans pocket after I am done with them. Can I not do that with these headphones? What would be the best and most practical way to put them away when I am done with them? Do I actually have to bring the carrying case with me everywhere and put them in there?

To sum it all up, If I just wrap these headphones around my iPhone and put them in my pocket, am I at risk of damaging them?

Thanks,
Gabe

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 10
I definitely wouldn't use the 530's in the knockaround way that you have described. The housing itself is pretty tough, but the wires are fragile enough that you won't want to take any chances with it. Majority of the wire problems come from the splitting of the casing on the part where it loops around your ear, and this is due to combination of crappy wire and the body oils stiffening and degrading the material the wire is made out of. The best thing to do to avoid this problem is to wipe down that part of the wire with light soap/water soaked tissue at least once every few days to get rid of the oil buildup. The other problem is from the rubber casing, which from what I hear falls off for some people. This is probably more due to stress put on the wires themselves. Overall, they wouldn't instantly fail within weeks if you use it that way or anything; just that for the price you pay for, you may want to take better care of it.

Depending on the production date of your 530's, they may or may not come with the better quality wire that have a much lower fail rate (anything past mid 07 should be good). And in worst case scenario Shure do cover these problems on their warranty, as long as you bought it from a Shure authorized dealer. If you didn't, then I guess you either pay Shure to have it fixed or have a third party company recable it.

So yeah, take good care of them and consider getting another knockaround pair for cheaper if you absolutely must use it in that fashion.

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 10
I have a pair of these IEMs, and they seem pretty sturdy to me. I occassionally use the case but mostly they are just wrapped around my iPod/Amp, no signs of damage yet. I wouldn't worry especially if they are under warranty.

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GabeJacobs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I actually have to bring the carrying case with me everywhere and put them in there?

U do whatever u want but wrapping it around ur iPhone is not something I would do. Scratches the iPhone and puts stress on the jack for one. Get a soft pouch if u don't already have one and do the four-fingers wrap and stuff it in there when not in use, takes no time whatsoever. Most important thing though, swipe the sweat from cables everyday else it's gonna stiffen.

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
U do whatever u want but wrapping it around ur iPhone is not something I would do. Scratches the iPhone and puts stress on the jack for one. Get a soft pouch if u don't already have one and do the four-fingers wrap and stuff it in there when not in use, takes no time whatsoever. Most important thing though, swipe the sweat from cables everyday else it's gonna stiffen.

mwahah maybe straight after every use :p i did that sort of and my E2c still ruined twice!

Isnt the new SE530s have improved cables? Thats less prone to those problems.

Mar 11, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 10
There is another problem associated with wrapping the wires around your dap.

Every time around the wire introduces one full twist along the length of the wire. If you then pull the wire off the end of the dap, instead of rotating the dap along its length you stretch that twist into the wire and its plastic casing.

I have had two pairs of Shure 500s. I bought the first in 2006, and the casing above the left ear split. I had them replaced, and in 2007 the wire again split. 2008 and Shure wont replace them again.

I will get them recabled and avoid Shure from now on.

h

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 10
I think they are built like tanks. Return rate is less than 5%.

Regardless I would NEVER wrap my iem's around my player and stuff it in my pocket. There is a VERY hi chance that you will get fuzzy particulate into the nozzles and then you are just asking for trouble.

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 10
As I mentioned elsewhere, while I never buy extended warranties, the 530 would be an exception to my rule.

Am not saying the 530 breaks more than others, but others costing less, it doesn't hurt that much, but 530 $ouch!

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I mentioned elsewhere, while I never buy extended warranties, the 530 would be an exception to my rule.

Am not saying the 530 breaks more than others, but others costing less, it doesn't hurt that much, but 530 $ouch!

How i buy extended warranty for 530

Users who are viewing this thread

Back