How Fragile Are IEMs?
Nov 14, 2006 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

KJAM

Head-Fier
I just became proud owner of a pair of E500s..and I am curious about their durability? I don't plan on banging them around...but do I need to baby them?

For example, when setting them down on a table, should they be placed ever so gently..or is okay to hear that little "clank" when they make contact..

Thanks in advance!!

- KJ

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by KJAM
I just became proud owner of a pair of E500s..and I am curious about their durability? I don't plan on banging them around...but do I need to baby them?

For example, when setting them down on a table, should they be placed ever so gently..or is okay to hear that little "clank" when they make contact..

Thanks in advance!!

- KJ

Although I've never owned a pair of IEM's before, I think they are rugged enough for everyday use. You don't have to baby them like crazy, but on the other hand don't throw them around the room!!

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi KJ, congrats on your E500 purchase!

From my own experience, IEMs do not break easily, but that is when they are well treated. You have to be extra careful with the cord, such as not pulling them, not twisting them extremely, and put the IEMs in the clam case whenever possible. Do not throw them around or cram them into your bag or pocket.

I think on the instruction booklet they adviced against shocks, so throwing onto the table is not a good thing to do IMO, try to put them down gently, once or twice won't really hurt, but don't do it too often.

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 11
I would baby them just to be sure.

I often fall asleep in mine and wake up all tied up or led on them, often I drop my ipod with the IEMs still in my ears and the cord gets yanked out of the ipod but they have survived so far, I try to keep them in the case and be careful with them. Dunno about the E500s though, I use the UM2s

My mrs has claimed my ER6i because she works nights and falls asleep to them during the day. Once she is done with them she drops them out of the bed onto the floor and I keep standing on them
blink.gif
so far they have survived though

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 11
My experience with the Shure E4c has showed me that they dont need to be babysitted. On the other hand if you think that these things are so much money I would take a bit better care of them than sit on them and pull their cord.
icon10.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 11
try to take the IEM carrying case with you and get into the habit of putting them in there whenever you're not using it. i baby my shure e500 when i had it and made sure it doesn't go into a backpack without the case. but other than taking care of it, IEM's usually don't break with everyday usage.

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 11
If your IEM carrying case is too big, use something else.

I use an Altoids tin with both my ER4P and iM716.

I always thread my IEMs under my shirt so that the cord never snags on anything.

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 11
In many years I've never broke an IEM or bud unless intentially

*EDIT* in case you were wondering I don't treat my gear particularly gently. Stuffed in bags, pockets and even used as cat toys. They are usually left lying around on tables, on the floor or wherever I happen to drop them. I have rolled over cables with chairs, hooked them hard enough to hurt my ears and pulled them out by the cables. It's surprising how durable they can be or I'm just lucky.

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555
Oh, and be extra careful when changing ear tips, don't rip off the nozzles.

Other than that, they're generally very sturdy.

Nov 15, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
In many years I've never broke an IEM or bud unless intentially

*EDIT* in case you were wondering I don't treat my gear particularly gently. Stuffed in bags, pockets and even used as cat toys. They are usually left lying around on tables, on the floor or wherever I happen to drop them. I have rolled over cables with chairs, hooked them hard enough to hurt my ears and pulled them out by the cables. It's surprising how durable they can be or I'm just lucky.

Note to self.... Don't buy used gear from smeggy.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Just kidding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back