How fast do you type?
Nov 22, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Natural" keyboards (the ones split in the middle and slightly curved) are supposed to help train you to not reach to the right side with your left hand and vice versa. So theoretically you should type faster as a result. It's also supposed to help with preventing carpal tunnel.

That's interesting, my desktop keyboard is curved (although not split). I think my typing is actually fairly divided as is though. My issue is that the laptop keyboard typically has only a few millimeters of travel per key press. I find that I can hit keys a lot faster that way and don't have to worry so much about moving my fingers up and down. Rather, I just move from key to key with smaller motions.

On my desktop keyboard I have to both move from key to key and then press the keys (logitech wave keyboard) which I find increases the time that it takes to type each character.

On a side note, I switched over to Dvorak during my first year of college and found that it increased my typing speed quite effectively (I was about a 20 wpm boost after typing that way for about 2 months.) However, I decided to switch back due to lack of compatibility.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #33 of 50
I have no clue how fast; but I expect I'd be pretty embarased to find out.

My eleven year old Grandson zips along at two to three times my speed and he's busy looking at the screen all the time. I still have to look at the keys! My problem with the keys is that a lot of the keys no longer have their markings, and I keep gettin' the T and E mixed up!

.....and a bunch other of the letters are either totally gone or hideously mutilated. I even had to pop out the "Caps Lock" key cuz I'd keep on hitting the darn thing and be typing in caps for whole sentences before I'd finally look up and see the ongoing damage!

And I took typing in High School back in '59!

On real Electric Machines!

With no Key Markings!

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #35 of 50
Speaking of TI Calculators; I have a bunch of the characters worn offa my old...very old...TI55lll workhorse.

Ah!....I didn't think of it before, but most of the missing letters and stuff are on the left side of the keyboard where the left hand with the Guitar callouses on the fingertips are!

I wonder if that may have anything to do with it?

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #36 of 50
The last time that I took an official typing test was in the spring of 1988. I scored 60 words a minute in English (95% accuracy) and 39 words a minute in French (95 % accuracy) (each French typewriter seems to have accents in different locations--if I had been tested on a French IBM, I would have nailed the test). That was 20 years ago. I no longer remember how to type. I'm dictating this message to my pet hamster, Sparky. You should see him leap from key to key as I crack my whip! "Faster Sparky! Jump faster, leap further, hurry," I bellow as I crack my whip! Snap! Crack! Opps. There goes another hamster. Gotta lighten up on the whip. Luckily, I got a whole stable of the little typing devils.

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I no longer remember how to type. I'm dictating this message to my pet hamster, Sparky. You should see him leap from key to key as I crack my whip! "Faster Sparky! Jump faster, leap further, hurry," I bellow as I crack my whip! Snap! Crack! Opps. There goes another hamster. Gotta lighten up on the whip. Luckily, I got a whole stable of the little typing devils.

That's horrible, I'm calling PETA on you right now!

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #39 of 50
48 wpm with 95% accuracy in english
62 wpm with 95% accuracy in french
I guess I'll stick to my mothertongue
tongue.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #41 of 50
Statistically speaking, some of you are surely inflating your scores. A distribution of ~3500 typing tests shows that the mean score is approx. 40 words per minute (median ~38wpm). I'll accept that Head-fi'ers type faster than the mean speed, but no way so many type >90wpm.

241nw2u.png

Sure, the test is a few years old, but given the sample size, this is not likely to change that much. The people being tested were administrative office workers, not newbies who had never seen a keyboard. The statistical chance that you are typing 100+ wpm is .02%. So, from a representative group of 5000 office workers, you are the fastest typist.

To put a typing speed of 100wpm into perspective, the IQ occurring at a similar percentile is around 140. Or, the penis length at a similar percentile is over 9 inches.

11v79zr.png

Just trying to put it into perspective
icon10.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once got tested at Kelly Services (employment agency) at 100 WPM with 100% accuracy, that's the best I've ever done. They re-tested me because they didn't believe it, and I think it came out at something like 95 WPM 100% the second time. The last time I was tested at Express Personnel and got 90 WPM with 100% accuracy. I'm still in disbelief that I keep getting 100% accuracy. I've been doing stuff with computers since I was 9, so that probably has something to do with my typing skills.

Your avatar is adorable! Where did you find that?

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #44 of 50
Shrug I clocked in at 132 wpm with 98 percent accuracy last time I was tested (It was at a temp agency for data entry people which I was trying to summer gig at while working on my undergrad). I haven't tested recently but ask anyone who's ever chatted with me I type reasonably fast ;p Ask Elephas laf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back