How far do I insert?
Nov 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AnthonyMcEwen

Head-Fier
Sorry bout the title I could not resit, but this is a really dumb Q as I never worn IEMS before do you just rest them in the ear enuf to stay in or do you have to push them in a bit, it seems the sound quality with IEM's has a lot to do witht the fit and getting a good seal?

oh and I anyone can reccomend me some Sub £15 cheap IEM's Id be happy, dont need to be the best but something BASSY would be nice...only getting cheap as Im saveing for some nice fullsize headphones and never worn IEMs before, hopeing they will be better than the other type, the ones that looks like mini speackers such as these.

http://hafeezcentre.pk/ads_images/1293791840_su57/hc134466635381.jpg

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 12
You push them as deep as you can, and you will know when it hits the end and won't go in further, trust me 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
You push them as deep as you can, and you will know when it hits the end and won't go in further, trust me 
bigsmile_face.gif

Every ear/tip is a little different.  Shure olives for example;  I can push them in to the limit.  I have some foam tips that I can push all the way in and they won't seal properly, but if I pull them back just a little bit, they fit perfectly.  If I use the tri-flanged tips, The left ear can go in all the way and be quite comfortable, but I can never get the right ear to fit without being uncomfortable to the point where it is hurting me.

Point being, try the different tips (if you have them), and trying putting it in as far as you can (be careful of course), and if the sound is not right, adjust from there or switch to a larger tip.

Edit:  From my very limited experience, Audio Technica has some cheap bassy IEMs that might suit your taste while you wait for something better.  When you buy cheap though, you get what you pay for, they will definitely be lacking, fewer accessories, cable not as strong, etc.  If you are looking for bassy and cheap to hold you over though, look at Audio Technica, and a few of the Sony models.

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 12
Right thx for the help but I had already ordered the JVCs, only they arrived 4 days late, but its Xmas so I can't complain,

WHEN I PUSH THEM IN THEY STOP AT A CERTEN POINT BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE IM UNDERWATER WHEN THERE IS NO MUSIC PLAYING, IS THIS TOO FAR, I FIND IF I PULL THEM BACK A BIT THERE AS SERCURE BUT DONT SOUND LIKE IM UNDERWATER BUT FIT NICE, THEN IF PULLED BACK MORE THEY SOUND LIKE THERE IN THE EAR DONT ISOTLATE AND FULL OUT.

SO IS IT WHEN THERE IN ENUF TO STAY IN...FEELS LIKE THERE IN UR EAR...BUT NOT SO FAR DOWN TO MAKE U THINK U JUST GOT OUT THE POOL?

Don't know why there in caps sorry bout that.

My want list looks like this.

SM E10

KRK KNS 8400

Sony 800 (cheap bass head overear)

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #10 of 12
Don't push them in far enough that it becomes like it's underwater. I did that once, went too far and then the tip came off the IEM and I had to go to a GP with a very painful bi-flange in my ear for the next hour.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #11 of 12
That's what scares me bout IEM's!

Anyways found that my buds / tips were to big, they were the middle ones, and have switched to small now, and they don't need to be pushed in much to stay in and the water effect is still here but like 99% better and don't think I'm gonna get rid of it, its barely noticeable now and I can barely feel them in my ears, am slowly getting used to them. There in so that they stay in and not just resting on ears but not scared that there gonna get stuck, found it helps if I pull my ear up a bit before " insertion " haha.

Not too bad on comfort but they are a little bit uncomfortable, so was going to get some foam tips as they meant to be more comfy and make sound better but can't find any under £10 and not gonna pay that when that's the same I played for the phones...

Why is such a small peice if foam so expansive, can o get them cheaper! Were from, as after all ear plugs are like 50p each and they don't have a hole in, so why do foam tips cost so much? Were can I get them cheap.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #12 of 12
Oh on a + note the new sound quality of these is not bad, coming from a non audiophile, but while the bass is nice they can only get down to about 15hrz which is not bad for cheap headphones...bass is good and strong, and highs are there but in some songs they can be a bit sharp or pain full at silly load volumes on some but not most songs but I don't listen load most of the Time so not too much of an issue, but the let down is the midrange, its there but on a few songs I'd like it to be stronger or I think the technical term is less recessed, so all in all good for bass headeads but all though quanitys is there the it could do with being able to go lower, midrange is acceptable and highs are there but a bit in our face and sharp, so good for £10 but u get what u pay for I guess, holding the highs soften after burning.

Please note this is from untrained non audiophile ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back