how far can i get with 300! looking something to pair the fidelio 2, ibasso, audio gd nfb or...???
Feb 17, 2015 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

carlosodze

New Head-Fier
Hi, i am looking for a dac/amp to buy together with a fidelio x2, i was going to buy a ibasso dx90 but reading i discover i could get more sq from a desktop amp/dac, but i have some questions; my computer suxs, (that is why i wanted the ibasso, something apart of the computer) if i get a amp/dac and conect it to my laptop, does the laptop play any role in the sq? I was lookinf at the audio nfb 15 for example, or a dragonfly (they look quiet different may i ask why?), what's the best SQ i can get under 300 to use specificaly with a philips fidelio x2. I love pink floyd so iam looking for 3d sound,
As you may already notice i am.preety new in all this, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Pd: i saw a audio nfb 12 for 150, how does it compare to the 15? And to the ibasso dx90 ? I could get that one an a fiio x1 for when i just dont feel like turning on the computer to listen to music.

Feb 17, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 6
Using an external dac/amp all that's required from your computer is to send a 'digital signal' via one USB port to the dac. From there, the rest is controlled by the dac/amp where the digital signal is converted to analogue (by the dac) which then travels to your amp and finally to your headphones. The quality of the computer to the best of my knowledge is not particularly important.

There are some nice dac/amp combos made by a company called Schiit Audio. Something such as the Modi / Magni combo can be had for about $200 USD total. I actually owned this setup and was very happy with the performance. With $300 you could even consider the next Schiit amp up, if you want to spend less you could even consider the Fulla Schiit mini dac/amp which is getting great reviews.

I will provide a link to their site so you can become famialr with the products. The products can then be researched back here using our search feature to find reviews and threads.

Schiit Audio: http://schiit.com/

And the Fulla thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/737642/fulla-by-schiit-news-photos-thoughts-impressions-etc

Feb 17, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 6
I've just been reading this other thread you created. (asking the same question) 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755137/help-to-choose-dac-amp-for-fidelio-x2#post_11323954

Considering you're using the Phillips X2 I must retract the above post (you can still read it and take in the knowledge). Having quickly read your question I was thinking about Phillips full-size headphones (not the IEM).

You do not need something like the Magni / Modi for those, they're very easy to drive. You could still however consider the little Fulla to help take them up a notch. But please disregard my post above about the full size desktop amps.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 6
Oh i am talking about the full sized headphones, altought i have also heard they are easy to drive(they are 32ohms) but i a, sure i will need something better than my crappy laptop to release their full potencial, how does the modi magni combo compares to the geek out 450 (both at 200)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back