How exactly do I burn-in my new A900s?
Aug 14, 2004 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Borky

Head-Fier
Well, I just got them and I'm wondering how the best to proceed would be. I read the FAQ, but that isnt really clear. How long should I burn these and with what material? Can I just play normal music?

Also, since they are hooked up to my HT receiver, is that considered they are amped?

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 15
play any music at low to moderate levels for like 60 hours. you can do it straight or whatever, it's up to you. just dont use high volumn levels. amped or unamped, it doesn't matter. i hate how headphones sound through a receiver, but that can also be considered 'amped'.

Aug 14, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 15
I used my computer (itunes) for 4 or 5 days straight at medium to high volume. It's not science, just play some music through your pair. It has been said that playing bassy music will develop coherent bass faster. Ohh, and you don't have to amp our pair during burn in period.

Aug 14, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 15
Don't bother. Just listen. Not that I don't believe in burn-in, but I've found most Japanese phones to benefit comparatively little from an initial burn-in... including the A900. The more important 'burn-in' that has to happen is your own ears.

Aug 14, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 15
To burn-in: Play full-ranged music at a volume which is slightly higher than what you normally listen to. The general rule for the drivers is the louder you play music, the faster it will burn in. You just don't want to play them too loud so they get damaged.

For the headphone cable, volume of the music really doesn't matter much. As long as the music is being played at a moderate level, the cable will burn in.

The average amount of time playing for complete burn-in is 200 hours.

Aug 14, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borky
Well, I just got them and I'm wondering how the best to proceed would be. I read the FAQ, but that isnt really clear. How long should I burn these and with what material? Can I just play normal music?

Also, since they are hooked up to my HT receiver, is that considered they are amped?

Forget it. Don't worry about it. Who told you to do this? There is no audible effect.

Aug 14, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Don't bother. Just listen. Not that I don't believe in burn-in, but I've found most Japanese phones to benefit comparatively little from an initial burn-in... including the A900. The more important 'burn-in' that has to happen is your own ears.

Agreed. Didn't notice much change in the A900s at all.

Aug 15, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 15
some phones require a lot fo burn-in to start sounding like "themselves," but the A900 isn't one of them. It's ready to go pretty much out of the box. It does probably refine itself a little over time, but basically it's a "plug and play" headphone.

Aug 15, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 15
you don't have to treat burn-in like it's rocket science

Aug 15, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef
you don't have to treat burn-in like it's rocket science

This myth of 'burn-in' is getting out of hand. From out of nowhere, people appear asking about it, despite the fact that there's a sticky article at the top of the page. I suggest we kill ALL threads that ask about 'burn-in' and ban them permanently.

Aug 15, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti
This myth of 'burn-in' is getting out of hand. From out of nowhere, people appear asking about it, despite the fact that there's a sticky article at the top of the page. I suggest we kill ALL threads that ask about 'burn-in' and ban them permanently.

Or post a link to that thread and close the question thread.

Aug 15, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 15
This is how I burned in my AT W1000's: plugged em into my receiver set to a local classical music station and turned them up very loud. Not all the way, but loud enough to be too loud if I was listening to them, stuffed a pillow over them so I could sleep, and left them for three days. Sometimes I re-burn them. If I haven't listened to them in a while, I'll do the same thing with them. I always notice a difference, more mellow, detailed, less bright. Eventually I figure I won't have to continue the re-burn-in proceedure, but I'm not there yet.

Aug 15, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman

So would this apply to all the "A" series, like the A500 and the A700?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back