How easy is it to hurt your hearing with a sudden loud intro to a song or the volume turning p for a second?
Dec 18, 2015 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Eurobeat

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

Last night I was trying my new X2's, and the settings got switched when I plugged my HPs into my speaker's HP jack so I could get a higher volume out of my HPs, and when I switched Stereo, there was no issue with volume, until the next song came on, then the software adjusted to Stereo, and I got hit with a very loud sound.

I had read once, a user in here had gotten a really high pitched noise in his left ear or something which permanantly messed up his hearing (or did for a long while).

I'm curious... what are the off chances of it happening?  How loud with it have to be?

I wouldn't say it was usper loud, but it was loud enough to upset me.  I think I'm okay, but part of me felt odd afterwards, and I listened for a few mins before putting it down and letting my ears rest, which I should have done the entire time I believe.

I think one of the things I hate about HPs is that they are so close to your ears that if they are loud, you can do damage.

So I wanted to hear some comments please about this..

Also... I had originally had my 5.1 speakers setup so the rear were on my chair near my ear.  It worked well, and I got a ton of awesome sound from behind me, but sometimes I felt my left ear starting to hurt, so I didn't want to do damage to my hearing with them so close.  I can change the volume of them to be very low as well, so it's not like they are full blast all the time..

Granted there were a couple of times they did ge ful blast (for some reason if I shut off the rear they would turn off, but if I turned them on 1 click, they would go to full).

Hopefully didn'r hurt my hearing either...  I like this hobby a lot, but I find with al the testing of HPs and ****, I keep getting hit with loud impacts, and I don't want to hurt myself, trying to enjoy a hobby... :frowning2:

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 18
If you noticed nothing the next day, it's doubtful you did anything bad. It's impossible to know exactly what you might have done without knowing how loud the sound was exactly. If you don't think it was going to explode the speakers, you can always set the volume that high again and put an SPL meter next to the headphones and get a quick measurement.

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 18
  If you noticed nothing the next day, it's doubtful you did anything bad. It's impossible to know exactly what you might have done without knowing how loud the sound was exactly. If you don't think it was going to explode the speakers, you can always set the volume that high again and put an SPL meter next to the headphones and get a quick measurement.

I'm sure it was't as loud as if I had a real amp.  The source (my laptop) was not working for me on all songs, so I plugged it into my speaker's control pad which had a HP jack to allow some louder music.  I don't think it was overall that loud, but was upsetting.  I feel I've dealt wiht louder before.

IT felt odd lisening to some music afterwards, like "something was missing," but it's prob a Placebo affect of me being upset.... :)

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 18

I'm sure it was't as loud as if I had a real amp.  The source (my laptop) was not working for me on all songs, so I plugged it into my speaker's control pad which had a HP jack to allow some louder music.  I don't think it was overall that loud, but was upsetting.  I feel I've dealt wiht louder before.

IT felt odd lisening to some music afterwards, like "something was missing," but it's prob a Placebo affect of me being upset.... :)

I have the same feeling when I accidentally forget the volume. As long as you don't notice any change in hearing or yourself pushing the volume up louder than normal, I wouldn't sweat it. I find anything above 100dB pretty loud, but that's hardly immediate-damage territory.

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 18

I have the same feeling when I accidentally forget the volume. As long as you don't notice any change in hearing or yourself pushing the volume up louder than normal, I wouldn't sweat it. I find anything above 100dB pretty loud, but that's hardly immediate-damage territory.

Thanks :).  MY issue is that I had everything all the way up (on the sound control, but not my speaker's control), and it wasn't that loud, next song BOOOOM.... :frowning2:((((

It didn't seemt o "hurt" but more just upset me.  I've had loud noises in my ear before by accident with IEMs, and that upset the **** out of me too, but It hink I'm okay :)

Also, I was listening to the X2's with this, and I had mentioned one of my songs sounded a bit harsh to me, even with the settings off.

One user said that it could be the source/song, and another user made this rude comment, but i figured I'd post it anyways.

Originally Posted by peterdc 

Incidentally, I just sold my x2's wasn't to you was it on ebay? I loved em but I just prefer closed headphones. I have giant speakers for big air music. I would say though the X2's are far from muffled. I think you might want to get your ears checked, seriously. The X2's have wonderful highs - if you aren't hearing it with them you'll not hear it on anything without further hearing damage.

Your post alone says a lot about you. Brash, shouty. You play music far too loud and I think you have already ****ed up your hearing if the X2's don't work for you at the top end. Go easy from now on - you can never recover hearing loss.

So I'm curious how my ears "would be damaged" if I could hear harshness?  I would assume, if my ears were really damage,d I would have a hard time hearing that....?  Especially if I had lost hearing in the highs?

I have no clue what he's saying, but I figured someone in here might be able to shed some light?

FWIW I have been trying to tone down the music a little bit.  I like it loud, but I notice it can get harsh if too loud.  I notice my ears trying to block out some sound for being too loud, while adjusting to others.  I might need a "leveler" as Realtek calls it, to smooth out the loud/soft sounds to be more eve.

I have been trying to take the volume down a bit, because I hear our ears will adjust to louder sounds, "thinking" we lost hearing... However, if we turn it down, our ears will adjust to the softer music.

A lot of people say "we cannot recover our hearing" or "Once we have tool decay, it cannot remineralize."  It's funny when you start searching the internet, you will find all sorts of interesting info.

Our bodies are amazing beings that heal themselves.  If you constantly listen to loud music, it's going to get worse, but if you soften it up, you might be able to gain stuff back.

I was speaking about tooth decay, and I've read up that what you eat matters a ton, and if you get the proper minerals and don't keep "DAMAGING" the layers, you can reform enemal and dentin.

Also, someone I spoke to who used to wear glasses a lot, stopped wearing them for many years, and is sadly back on them now... He said that he notices his eyes getting "weaker" because they are "Getting used to" the glasses.

Essentially, we are making parts of our body "Lazy," or "not working 100%" because other things are "Doing the work" instead..

Not sure if that makes sense, hopefully it does...

I do "hear" that our earing has to do with little hairs in our ear, that apparently "do not regrow" but is that a fact?

They also talk about the eardrum....

I just find it odd that the body wouldn't be able to repair certain things... Granted, if your arm gets chopped off, you're SOL....

I'm interested in discussing this further, thanks for answering my questions :)))

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 18
Extended exposure to sounds > 85dB or so can certainly lead to permanent hearing loss, by that meaning an increase in the SPL necessary to hear tones in a controlled environment. I am unsure of all the exact mechanisms (i.e. exactly how the hair cells are damaged), so you'll have to do some Google if you want to know more. But certainly many adults have lost some ability in the top range (15k+).

The song matters in just loud it comes out and the frequency content (a loud bass drum thud has a way different feel than a loud cymbal crash). Using replaygain can help prevent such sudden jumps, helpful if you like to listen to a variety of genres in an on-the-go setting where you can't always have a hand near the volume pot.

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 18
  Extended exposure to sounds > 85dB or so can certainly lead to permanent hearing loss, by that meaning an increase in the SPL necessary to hear tones in a controlled environment. I am unsure of all the exact mechanisms (i.e. exactly how the hair cells are damaged), so you'll have to do some Google if you want to know more. But certainly many adults have lost some ability in the top range (15k+).

The song matters in just loud it comes out and the frequency content (a loud bass drum thud has a way different feel than a loud cymbal crash). Using replaygain can help prevent such sudden jumps, helpful if you like to listen to a variety of genres in an on-the-go setting where you can't always have a hand near the volume pot.

Thanks... I guess I would have to test the dB content of my HPs to see..  (or speakers).  I feel I can listen to louder music on the Speakers , with no issues, but the HPs... too much and it hurts, granted too loud on speakers cna hurt too, but there's so much more air involved...

I don't really listen to music for an extended time, and if I do it's usually on speakers and it's not that loud. :)

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 18

Thanks... I guess I would have to test the dB content of my HPs to see..  (or speakers).  I feel I can listen to louder music on the Speakers , with no issues, but the HPs... too much and it hurts, granted too loud on speakers cna hurt too, but there's so much more air involved...

I don't really listen to music for an extended time, and if I do it's usually on speakers and it's not that loud. :)

Sound from one speakers gets to both ears, which is how we're used to sound sources working most of the time. Headphones are like having someone right up against your ear talking to you, which feels quite unnatural. Try a bit of crossfeed when using HPs to see if it helps with fatigue.

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 18

Sound from one speakers gets to both ears, which is how we're used to sound sources working most of the time. Headphones are like having someone right up against your ear talking to you, which feels quite unnatural. Try a bit of crossfeed when using HPs to see if it helps with fatigue.

I heard that some HPs are equipped with the "both ears" in mind type deal, but the X2's aren't...

I really liked my G35 headset from Logitech, and I'm sure people would talk **** on it, but it sounded really really good, and no faitgue, or other ******** I'm getting from these "high end audiophone HPs..." I've listened to....

Is it better to do speakers then HPs then?

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 18

I heard that some HPs are equipped with the "both ears" in mind type deal, but the X2's aren't...

I really liked my G35 headset from Logitech, and I'm sure people would talk **** on it, but it sounded really really good, and no faitgue, or other ******** I'm getting from these "high end audiophone HPs..." I've listened to....

Is it better to do speakers then HPs then?

IF I had the circumstances that would allow me free listening, then I'd take speakers any day of the week. But with a wife and a 2y/o, headphones seem to get more use :wink:

Dec 18, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 18

IF I had the circumstances that would allow me free listening, then I'd take speakers any day of the week. But with a wife and a 2y/o, headphones seem to get more use :wink:

Currently I live with my family, so they complain about it sometimes, wne I move, it will be a different story......  Granted I'll be living with others at first.

I overall just find speakers more enjoyable... That was till I put on those G35's and listneed again...

Ahh marriage... Whenever I hear someone complain about it, I'm just like yeaaaa single life baby!

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #14 of 18
Thank you guys for the info..

@revoc lol....  crazy stuff people do...

Also, I was curious since we were on topic.  Last couple of days my left ear has this like pain or something, which I'm not sure if it's coming from both the back of my head and ear, or travelling from the back of my neck, to the ear....

I've had this before, and I usually try to clear my ear with my finger/q-tip.

I''m curious if you think there is cause for concern with this or....?

I should go get my ear's checked up on as it's been awhile.

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #15 of 18
IIRC the g35 sounds dark and boomy. Perhaps you prefer a darker sound to avoid fatigue, someone suggested crossfeed, you can try that too. Regarding pain in the ear I guess it can be many things like Impacted wax or fluid build-up or what do I know.. Wouldn't hurt to see a physician on the matter.
If interested/concerned it might be possible to calculate/approximate the SPL you were exposed to. Most likely the max output of your pc is 1~2 V and I doubt the SPL is more than some 100 dB, though it depends on the output/gain and song you listened to.
Ever experience ringing or other continuous noise, especially at night?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back