How easy is it to fix broken amps?
Jul 22, 2004 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SSSSSmokey

New Head-Fier
How easy is it to find diagnose and fix a broken amp? Like a car or home audio amp, you know. I want to get one and mess around with it, but I don't have a lot of money right now so I could get a broken one and try to fix it or something.

Jul 22, 2004 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 3
it's doable, sometimes it's really stupid problem and easily solved, but it might be something more difficult, in such case you can sell that amp just like you bought it.. little risk..

Jul 22, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 3
Like all things, you get better with experience. If you have a good understanding of how amplifiers work and can recognize which section of the amp is which, you may have some luck. You'll need a digital multimeter that can test diodes at the very least.

I've found the home amplifiers are easier to diagnose and repair than auto amps because they tend to be simpler and more spacious.

Schematics can be helpful, especially if the problem is outside of the power supply. Power supplies are usually pretty straightforward, but there are a lot of amp topologies.

But like Glassman said, if you can't fix it, you can always resell it to somebody who can!

-Drew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back