How easily are headphones damaged?
Jun 22, 2007 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Eddie500

New Head-Fier
I'm not sure what happened but when playing around with settings on my computer while listening to music, all of a sudden, my new headphones (DT 770Pro) went distorted and very loud.

I was wondering how easily is it to damage the speakers in headphones? I'm using a X-fi xtreme music to power them.

What are some signs of damaging the headphones due to too loud spikes of sound? Can you damage speakers where they won't sound as good but is not easily noticable?

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 16
It depends a lot on the headphones. I'm pretty sure if they're newer...and the diaphram is still pretty stiff...it may be easier to damage them (anyone have thoughts on this?). The Beyers are pretty solid from what I hear though....it probably didn't hurt them. I've distorted MANY headphones in my time on accident (watch all those knobs and your clicker finger).... and I can honestly say that I've NEVER ruined a pair of drivers in my time...

I'm also into music production...and I know kevlar drivers are pretty much bulletproof....not that that has anything to do with what you're asking, but I think it varies from brand to brand and material to material. I'd actually like to see other's oppinions on this though...I've never "blown" a pair of caps, nor hurt any....has anyone else? O_O

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 16
I've always wondered this myself.

I had my HD600's on and was turning up the volume, but it was really quiet. I freaked out when I realized it was the E500's on the table that I was actually hearing. It must have been real loud for a moment there.

They still sounded fantastic.

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 16
I think the thing you mainly have to worry about in 'too loud' incidents is putting in more juice than the maximum input power listed on the headphone. For cheaper models, this is usually around 100mW (which is more than you'll probably ever put into your cans, but don't quote me). For beefier pieces of professional audio equipment like the DT770, it's usually higher. like maybe even in the thousands.... (?). I've had similar scares with my nice headphones, but they turned out OK. I'd be more concerned about finding out what caused that spike.

Hopefully somebody that really knows what they're talking about in regards to electricity will pop in, but I think I basically told it right.

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 16
Fons drivers can stand a lot. I once crackled a MS1 driver totally when trying to get rid of a hair. Disassembled it, bulged it, as new afterwards.

On the other hand, I once slaughtered a DT880 driver with a sinus tone at a quite low volume. You never know.

Sound matters. Basicly, as long as your driver sounds allright, it will be allright.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 16
On a scale of 1 to purple, I'd rate it at fantastic.

But seriously, you can easily damage them by turning them up too loud, especially when they aren't on your head. Many headphones can do that without a problem, the Sony MDR-V700 for example. My friend uses those as a pair of speakers until she gets her balanced sound card repaired. But they're rated at 3W - most other headphones would be destroyed with that kind of use. Also, I've accidentally destroyed 2 pairs of earbuds by putting on my full size headphones, turning them up, and up and up, then realising the earbuds are still connected and are now crushing themselves into the front grille. As long as they're on your head and not painful to listen to it should be fine. Note that if you have bass-boost enabled, it increases the risk that the driver will excurse too far, especially for headphones where the ear sits far from the driver and it has lots of bass, such as the DT-770.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 16
Generally what will wreck headphones the fastest is playing them really loudly with some silly EQ that makes them do something they are not designed to.

But DT770's are very tough, man. If you play them normally now and they sound OK, they probably are, in fact, OK.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 16
According to Tyll, very durable:

tyllhulk.jpg

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 16
I think it varies greatly with each headphone.

I know the EX51 I cooked was extremely durable. I went out of my way to intentionally cook the voice coils. When they finally cooked, the IEMs were warm to the touch.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 16
Do you think the max volume on an Ipod Nano can damage an ear/headphone? The reason I ask is that for me to use the Nano on my car and get good volume, I have to dial it up to max loudness. Then sometimes, I forget to dial it down before I use it with my phones (of various sorts from IEMs to Headphones). Now of course I blow out my ears for a split second, but am I damaging the phones?

And yes, the pain to my ears will lead me to fix this problem, but I still want to know if I am damaging my phones of various sorts.

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandrake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think the max volume on an Ipod Nano can damage an ear/headphone? The reason I ask is that for me to use the Nano on my car and get good volume, I have to dial it up to max loudness. Then sometimes, I forget to dial it down before I use it with my phones (of various sorts from IEMs to Headphones). Now of course I blow out my ears for a split second, but am I damaging the phones?

And yes, the pain to my ears will lead me to fix this problem, but I still want to know if I am damaging my phones of various sorts.

Thanks!

No. The max volume through the headphone out is slightly under a volt. Nothing to brag home about, should barely put a dent on the coils.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandrake /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks!

Depends on the efficiency of your IEMs/headphones. You aren't likely to damage the voice coil with such low voltage/current but it's possible you could damage the diaphragm if the phones are very sensitive or the diaphragm has a confined space within which to oscillate, resulting in it colliding with the front of the enclosure. If that happens it will result in a crackling during bass notes (and sometimes during higher harmonics).

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 16
Ok, try this. Listen to your favorite song and remember how it sounds. Now take an exacto and slice across the drivers cone. Listen again. If it sounds worse, then your headphones were fine. If they sound the same then the drivers were damaged by the loud music.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back