How durable are the ety 4p?
Aug 16, 2004 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Judge Crandall

100+ Head-Fier
I'm gonna be getting the ety 4p soon and I was wondering about their durability. I tend to beat the hell out of my headphones (my Bose are only functioning due to a ridiculous amount of duct tape). I'm using MX500s right now, and I sleep with them on all the time, and they seem fine (if they break, not a big loss, only $15). Obviously, I'm gonna be a hell of a lot more careful with the etys than the mx500s, but I just wanted to know how the 4p are gonna hold up.

the Judge

Aug 17, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 12
I wouldn't leave them outside of a case if your are throwing them in yor pocket or in a bag on the go. I keep mine in a mint tin and it works like a charm! PS if you plan to use an amp with these, get the P to S adaptor, you won't regret it.

Scott

Aug 17, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 12
Well mine are Ety 4S's, I've had them since around 1993 and they are always in my travel bag. From 92 through 95 I was on an airplane every single week of the year and from 95 through 2001 I traveled extensively to Europe, Asia, and Latin America. I've had zero problems with them and while they do go in some sort of a case (at the moment my Waterfield iPod bag) they sure don't get any special treatment. I don't think there is a big difference in the cable or the canal units so for what it's worth I'd say have fun and don't worry about them!

Hope that helps.
Jim

Aug 17, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimkuhr
Well mine are Ety 4S's, I've had them since around 1993 and they are always in my travel bag. From 92 through 95 I was on an airplane every single week of the year and from 95 through 2001 I traveled extensively to Europe, Asia, and Latin America. I've had zero problems with them and while they do go in some sort of a case (at the moment my Waterfield iPod bag) they sure don't get any special treatment. I don't think there is a big difference in the cable or the canal units so for what it's worth I'd say have fun and don't worry about them!

Hope that helps.
Jim

1993? Man, I bet they sound pretty good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably be getting a pair in the next few weeks. I'll give a little review once I get them. And so I take my first step toward audiophile heaven, while I go broke in the process.
etysmile.gif

the Judge

Aug 17, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 12
Keep in mind the whole filter changing deal...

One thing I don't understand is why IEM's don't need to use them and consequently (as far as I have understood) have much fewer "hidden costs" of maintenance.

Why is that?

Aug 17, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 12
Switching the silicone/foam tips is by far the most dangerous part about owning my 4Ps. I have broken the plastic tip at the end of the transducer so many times I've lost count (at least 3 or 4 over 15 months). Fortunately Etymotic has been more than gracious with RMAs.

About the best advice I can give is to never switch out the tips unless absolutely necessary, avoid using the foamies whenever possible, and when using the silicone tips, pull from the flange at the very end. NEVER twist the tips off! The tips seem to be a bit more sensitive to shear forces than stress forces.

Besides that the etys are very, very durable. I usually tote the phones, a boatload of spare foamies and silicones, some spare filters and a filter changer etc in a small plastic case in case I need to do some field maintenance at work.

Aug 17, 2004 at 8:14 AM Post #9 of 12
^^^
Like the above poster has said...
The only thing you should really worry about is the stem (or tip if you will) of the canal phone...the part that is covered by either the silicon or foam tips that also goes inside your ear canal. They are very skinny and are a very, if not the most fragile part of the phone. They should never be pulled, and or especially twisted with excessive force as they can break off sometimes very easily over a period of continuously removing them in the wrong manner/ways. When you think about it, what piece of audio equipment or any piece of electronic equipment for that matter, wouldn't break very easily with such a skinny and fragile piece that is exposed a lot of the time? My answer is everything would do the same. So just use caution and you will be alright. Other than that little bit of info, your fine. The stronger bigger/thicker cylinder part (the part that connects to the wire) under the skinny stem will never break unless you cut it in half with some scissors. Only a dumb dumb would do that though.
blink.gif

Good luck and please do enjoy your Etymotic canal phones. And also, don't hesitate to come back with any questions you might have about them...there are potentially A LOT of them.
etysmile.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 12
I fall asleep with my 4S pair in my ears all the time...never had a problem with their durability although they do stay in my bedroom all the time so I don't tote them around a lot. They're actually reasonably comfortable to fall asleep in once you get a pair of silicone tips really well broken-in too.

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 12
Hey beni, thanks for the info. You're doing exactly what I'll be doing with them. Good to know I don't have to worry about these babies too much. I also don't really plan on taking them out much, that's what the MX500s are for.

the Judge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back