How does your significant other feel about your headphone hobby?
Nov 15, 2010 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

majestic12

100+ Head-Fier
I'm confident that my wife doesn't care for my interest in headphones much.  As soon as I start to talk about which models look interesting or why I have to spend a small fortune on cans that sound better than the norm, she rolls her eyes and reminds me that she doesn't really care.  Even so, she volunteered to go with me to Den Den Town (the nerdy district of Osaka) tomorrow to try out some new headphones. 

I guess I'm just curious about how your significant others act in regards to your headphone hobbies.  Mine can't understand why I need more than one set of headphones to be satisfied, to which I reply that each model serves a different purpose (different kinds of music, movies, games, etc.).  So are your hobbies understood?  Supported?  Do they think you're crazy like mine does? 

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 90
Mine thinks I'm crazy.  She wants to know why I need to have so many headphones.  She also greatly dislikes that I can't hear her when I have them on and am thus ignoring her.  We had a romantic dinner but due to the timing I spent the last part of it staring at my phone seeing if I would win an ebay auction--that did not go over too well with her.

Yet at the same time we're going to Japan to visit her friends and family and she's helped me map out where to go shopping for headphones while in Tokyo (though I envy you going to Nipponbashi) later this year.  She's strangely supporting considering how much she doesn't care for my hobby.  I think it helps that she buys a lot when she gets into a new hobby.  Also we have a system.  I can use 60 dollars of my own money that I earned, which in her book is still her money, for every hour I give her a massage.

At least if I lose my job I'll make a good massuer.

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 90

Quote:
We had a romantic dinner but due to the timing I spent the last part of it staring at my phone seeing if I would win an ebay auction--that did not go over too well with her.

I'm surprised you're still alive
eek.gif
. Never, ever do that again!

Female partners are usually very understanding that boys need their toys. But they expect a little something in return - like not being ignored during a romantic dinner.

I've tried to get my wife interested in my hobby in the past. She appreciates the improved SQ, but doesn't care to continue the interest, on the basis that she has more important things to focus on, like a new home, or a better social life. And I think she would rather I spend my time and money on something more constructive. Despite that, she is incredibly reasonable at letting me play with my toys - and doesn't want to hear about the cost. What a gal.

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 90
She simply doesn't care at all, not does she understand it.
Which is fine by me, as long as I have the opportunity to listen to music
smile_phones.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 90
She thinks it is a waist of money, but as Long as I don't buy what we can't afford there is no problem.
Another thing is that at home I MUST have open headphones so I can hear her, if not it would mean ignore.
Anyway I think I have every set of headphones I imagine I need so no more buying no more problem...

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 90

Quote:
She thinks it is a waist of money, but as Long as I don't buy what we can't afford there is no problem.
Another thing is that at home I MUST have open headphones so I can hear her, if not it would mean ignore.
Anyway I think I have every set of headphones I imagine I need so no more buying no more problem...

Hi mcnoiserdc, I noticed in your sig you have the DBA-02 and the Sunrise AS-Charm, can you compare this two in a few words?  There are so few reviews on the latter, thanks :p
_________

On-topic:

She thinks I'm audio crazy, at the same time she wants a pair of noise-isolating IEM's because she works in a noisy studio and needs to protect her ears from the machines, so far, she has only ever used apple earbuds... and next time I see her I'm going to lend her my CK10's so she can use them in the studio, I'm eager to see her reaction from the upgrade apple earbuds -> CK10,
If she likes them I'm thinking I might buy her some real noise isolating IEM's like Ety MC5

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 90
lol! I can't say much because I don't dominate the headphones science yet.
In lay man words, I love my as-charm, for me it is a very musical earbud, like hi-fi and musical. It has the good bass, good mids and highs. Nothing is more emphasized. Yet they are smooth and clear.
The DBA-02 is simply the best IEM I had, you can see in my list I had other fine IEMs. It is not lacking anything. There is nothing I can point a finger to in it.
The DBA-02 is clearly better than my as-charm for me but I can't express it with audiophile words. I am in a stage that I know what is better and best, but I can't say much on the terms.

From all headphones I had, the DBA-02 is only second to my hd600. I say it because hd600 was like heaven for me. I just don't listen to dba-02 all the time because I prefer open headphones and the IEM stuck in my ears is not so pleasant.

Another thing I can assure you is that the as-charm is very resolving, I mean what you feed it is what you get. if you feed it back tracks it will show it. Once I thought they were damaged because I was listening to a track which was a bit distorted. I thought it was the earphones that was faulty, but it was the track that was poor quality.In the other headphones I could only notice the distortion at above listening volumes.

I had the phiaton ps210 which is half-IEM, half-earbuds, and I find the charm better. If you take ljokerl score serious, the phiaton ps 210 got an 8/10 from joker in sound quality

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 90
I like earbuds because it lets me hear what is happening and I like the open feeling. What made me buy the as-charm at one point was someone saying they were smaller than apple buds, but I don't know why, the only earbuds that fit me well is the apple bud. I  didn't buy the mx980 because I had the mx880 and they were just big for me. Problem is it feels like I never get the fit to have full sound... 

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 90
Wife Caring About WHAT????   Wait until you "take over" the Best RM (16'x26') (vaulted ceilings) in the Home, and set up a Listening Rm...I'm talking "Listening" only Rm...Filled with Tube Equip. Rm treatments. sweet spot seating only, cables on risers, speakers placed in optimum places.. etc.etc.oh I can't forget the Wall of LPs..........You guys know the rest of all our "Audiophile needs" that make up a system......So when MY WIFE realized I was getting back into Headphones, I think,  She thinks,  that I'll Forget about the Main System, and Wah-La, she's got her RM. back!!!!! Guess What? NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!! So It's All GOOD! As they SAY!!!!! 
wink.gif
    (truthfully, she knew I was a Audio guy from the start)

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 90
My lady doesn't really mind the amount of money I spend on it because I am on a relatively strict budget as of now.  She is very interested in why I enjoy it so much and she has always said that she wants to "learn how to listen to music the way I do".  I found that kind of interesting.

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #13 of 90

Quote:

Quote:
We had a romantic dinner but due to the timing I spent the last part of it staring at my phone seeing if I would win an ebay auction--that did not go over too well with her.

I'm surprised you're still alive
eek.gif
. Never, ever do that again!

Female partners are usually very understanding that boys need their toys. But they expect a little something in return - like not being ignored during a romantic dinner.

I've tried to get my wife interested in my hobby in the past. She appreciates the improved SQ, but doesn't care to continue the interest, on the basis that she has more important things to focus on, like a new home, or a better social life. And I think she would rather I spend my time and money on something more constructive. Despite that, she is incredibly reasonable at letting me play with my toys - and doesn't want to hear about the cost. What a gal.

As advice from TheAttorney, I will take it to heart.

Yeah she was fairly upset but as I had walked around all day on her errands and I gave her a massage to make up for it afterwards, I got away with it unscathed.  Not doing that too soon.  The fact that I'm into DIY and she likes the idea of learning survivalist skills for any situation has helped ease this situation here and there.

Quote:
Wife Caring About WHAT????   Wait until you "take over" the Best RM (16'x26') (vaulted ceilings) in the Home, and set up a Listening Rm...I'm talking "Listening" only Rm...Filled with Tube Equip. Rm treatments. sweet spot seating only, cables on risers, speakers placed in optimum places.. etc.etc.oh I can't forget the Wall of LPs..........You guys know the rest of all our "Audiophile needs" that make up a system......So when MY WIFE realized I was getting back into Headphones, I think,  She thinks,  that I'll Forget about the Main System, and Wah-La, she's got her RM. back!!!!! Guess What? NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!! So It's All GOOD! As they SAY!!!!! 
wink.gif
    (truthfully, she knew I was a Audio guy from the start)

This.  I have warned my girl about this.  I do dearly want this.  She said this is acceptable as long as she gets a nice guest house that is completely remodeled for the housing and worshipping of her cats.  A house for a room.  She's obviously getting the better end of the deal, but at least I can see there's wiggle room to achieve my own listening room.  But knowing her, she's going to invade it anyways.  She'll probably start doing her yoga in the listening room 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 90
Quote:
I like earbuds because it lets me hear what is happening and I like the open feeling.

Same, it's a different kind of sound.

Hopefully I can afford Yuin OK2, Sunrise AS-Charm, BLoXTm5, Senn omx980, ATH-CM700 one day, so I can find out which is best.  So far Sony E888 is the best, and once I looked at a frequency graph, and it was almost exactly the same as Yuin OK1, so sometimes I wonder if Yuin just copied the driver.

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 90

Quote:
My lady doesn't really mind the amount of money I spend on it because I am on a relatively strict budget as of now.  She is very interested in why I enjoy it so much and she has always said that she wants to "learn how to listen to music the way I do".  I found that kind of interesting.

That is so cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back