How does your modded X-fi compare to external DAC's?
Jun 8, 2007 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ichiboy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I completed my x-fi mods a while ago (LM opamp, blackgate, ERS paper) and have been enjoying it very much with my Larocoo PRII (this will change later). I remember in the long X-fi modding thread Coldt originally stated that he preferred his modded X-fi to a benchmark DAC-1. I'm curious to have the opinions of those who own both a modded x-fi and any of the popular DACs (Stello, Benchmark, Zhaolu, etc). It seems that most of us on the X-fi mod thread don't really have a higher end DAC to compare our sound to, so I'm very curious to hear your impressions.

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 2
i feel i am qualified to comment on this since i've compared the modded x-fi against my reference as i was designing the mod. the modded x-fi sounds similar to the stock Zhaolu 2.5C, and very different from the stock Zhaolu 2.5A as expected. the 2.5A is much more forward-sounding, which I like, but the hotrodded x-fi and 2.5C both have a larger soundstage. however, the modded zhaolu is in a different league. my zapfiltered zhaolu makes even the modded x-fi sound muddy and undynamic in comparison, also has much more weight, much faster, more defined bass, and better instrument separation. i'm using the zhaolu 2.5A as my base, but the zapfiltered 2.5C is the logical next step for modded x-fi lovers, since the sound is similar but better in many ways. i prefer the 2.5A though, i like that forward sound.

of course i still think that a modded X-Fi is a great bargain, supports surround sound, and in listening tests i've been told by many that they prefer it over several of the popular external DACs around here, some of them very expensive which i will not name. however a well-selected external DAC would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back