How does warranty work?
May 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Trim Crook

New Head-Fier
Hello. Recently one side of my tjays 3 stopped working. I bought these at an apple store so i went to hopefully get a new pair (not yet past 2 year warranty). But the apple man there said i would have to wait about 3 weeks (end up taking 5 weeks) because they have to send mine back and wait for new ones to arrive even though the store had tjays3's. is this normal? However when i went back they tried to "trick" me (maybe) by giving me A-Jays 3. And for some reason it was in bubble wrap. Luckily i checked right before i was about to get a taxi so i went back and they said it wasnt their fault and that JAYS had sent them the wrong one and told me i had to wait ANOTHER 3 weeks. Shouldnt they just give me the tjays3 they have at the store? If they bring me something like a tjays2 i am going to simply grab a tjays3 and walk out. I live in thailand btw.

May 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hello. Recently one side of my tjays 3 stopped working. I bought these at an apple store so i went to hopefully get a new pair (not yet past 2 year warranty). But the apple man there said i would have to wait about 3 weeks (end up taking 5 weeks) because they have to send mine back and wait for new ones to arrive even though the store had tjays3's. is this normal? However when i went back they tried to "trick" me (maybe) by giving me A-Jays 3. And for some reason it was in bubble wrap. Luckily i checked right before i was about to get a taxi so i went back and they said it wasnt their fault and that JAYS had sent them the wrong one and told me i had to wait ANOTHER 3 weeks. Shouldnt they just give me the tjays3 they have at the store? If they bring me something like a tjays2 i am going to simply grab a tjays3 and walk out. I live in thailand btw.

That's one way warranty works.  Generally, you contact the company that owns the product, Jays and email/call customer support.  You then normally ship your product back to them, when they receive, they'll ship one back. 

If you go through a store, the Store takes your product, submits a formal claim to the manufacturer's CS (Jays) and sends your product out.  After its been received, they ship one back to the store.  Then you pick up. 

Knowing you're in Thailand, and Jays is based in Europe, 3 weeks seems normal. 

May 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 5
It is a manufacturers warranty - after a certain period the retailer is not the one you need to go to for warranty repair/replacement. It is a lot to ask to have a store pull a piece of stock from their shelves to replace an item they can't be sure will be warranted. There is always the possibility the item would be replaced with a refurbished unit - plus from the retailers point of view - what happens if the warranty is denied? Once Jays cracks the IEM and finds water damage? The Apple store (and other retailers) will honor the warranty for a period after the sale, but getting on toward two years is something that should be handled between buyer and manufacturer.

Also, if somehow Jays messes up again and you decide to leave with a new one from Apple - that is theft - it is not the Apple store's responsibility to make you whole after an electronic item needs repair/replacement.

May 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 5
I went to the store today and they gave me a t jays 3. But it had a price tag on it and they opened it in front of me without tearing the red seal (asked me to test it). Also the box in no way seemed new. It had weird burn-like marks on the box. Heres a picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back