How does this thing work?
May 16, 2002 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
I was looking at this (here is the pic ) and wondered about the front panel. Those don't look like RCA...rather they look like a 1/4" input jack as used for the headphone input. I would love it if I could have my headphones hooked up to this and I could select between the RA-1, the Headmaster and something else...maybe the Cary or the Moth.

Any help would be appreciated.

May 16, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 9
Look at the specs, it says that it has RCA jacks.

So my guess is that this is the intermediary that you hook your headphones up to so that you can listen to the amp you want without having to plug into different amps. For example, if you had the Sugden hooked up to the 'Amp 1' RCA's in the back, then you would use the headphone jack in the front labeled 'Amp 1' to listen to the Sugden in the Amp 1 socket. If you wanted to listen to your RA-1 when it is hooked up to 'Amp 2' in the back, you could plug your headphones into the corresponding headphone jack. You would not be listening through the headphone out of the amp itself, obviously, but using the Moth PS5 as a convenience tool, or as a "Passive Selector Switch," as it is called.

WARNING: This is just a RANDOM GUESS as to how it might be used, for I really am not exactly positive as to how it's used . . .

May 16, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 9
Nope. The RCA jacks are in the back. The plug and the holes in the front are used for selecting which input is activated. You know, in place of a switch.

May 16, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
Nope. The RCA jacks are in the back. The plug and the holes in the front are used for selecting which input is activated. You know, in place of a switch.

No offense or anything, but isn't that above sort of what I said? Or did I say something incorrect that the 'nope' was correcting?

May 16, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 9
oops, sorry. I didn't quite understand what you were saying there at first. I blame APs!
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Not sure if this is what others are saying
biggrin.gif
, but I believe that you pull that "rod" out and put it in the position you want. So if you wanted "CD" you would put the "rod" in the hole by "CD". I think it is just a fancy way of avoiding a knob ...

May 17, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks a lot guys...I was wondering what the holes in the front did. I think this is a useless item without the knob...I mean...the whole point in my mind would be NOT to have to keep unplugging my phones etc...

The only advantage I can see would be if I had many sets and for example...always had the RS-1s in where the RA-1 is...the HD600s for the Moth or Cary or Headmaster, etc...

Interesting item....maybe if I have money to burn...

thanks for the breakdown guys!

May 17, 2002 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 9
I think there may be some misunderstanding here
tongue.gif
... the front panel does not have 1/4" jacks for headphones on it. You cannot plug anything into the front other than that "rod". This is just a passive switch box ...

I was looking at this so that I could hook up one set of inputs from my cd player to say 4 or 5 amps. Then I could just switch between.

I don't know, it's early and maybe I'm just confused here ...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back