How does the Shure E2C hold up against the ER-6i?
May 4, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz
Hi Remdial & Welcome aboard.

I've used both (along with the ER 4 & E5). The E2 is strong at bass and has better volume. The ER6 produces detail better.
Andy

WHAT!? The E2 is strong at bass....I respectfullly wholeheartily disagree. I actually think the E2c's are some of the worst IEMs made for the money despite the fact that I do like Shure in general, especially the E500.

May 4, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlack
I did in fact answer the question asked.

EDIT: If my answer was not to your satisfaction, I'm sorry. However, it was not actually directed at you.

I'll answer the question the same way then.

Almost anything will sound better than the E2C. The Shure E2C is obnoxiously cheap sounding.

The Shure E2C has a chunk of highs missing and almost nobody likes that!

(see how obnoxious that sounds?)

May 4, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver

Almost anything will sound better than the E2C. The Shure E2C is obnoxiously cheap sounding.

If you had been truthful/honest, I would have no complaint.

I think the question here is: What are your motivations in drawing this whole thing out? If in fact you believe there is a problem, I suggest you not do anything which would potentially worsen it.

May 4, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz
I've used both (along with the ER 4 & E5). The E2 is strong at bass and has better volume. The ER6 produces detail better.

That is interesting. What amplifier are you using the ER-6 with?

May 4, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #20 of 47
Granted, I haven't heard the e2c, but I do have the ER-6i and I don't think it sounds too thin to be distasteful, and the bass isn't lacking at all. Based on what people say about the e2c's bass, I highly doubt I would prefer it over my own IEM. And as bangraman said, it has an insane amount of isolation when properly sealed.

I dunno, I like the ER-6i's a lot. Maybe my ears are too forgiving?
tongue.gif

May 4, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

The E2c are disappointing until you mod them (aka Kramer mod) then the chunk of highs come back that everyone says are missing.

May 4, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #22 of 47
warpdriver, there shouldn't be any hard feelings between us. That wouldn't be right.

I would like to be fair about the situation as I see it.

To the degree I have justly upset you (and to that degree only), I apologize, although it was unintentional. I do forgive you for being a bit of a jerk about it, even if you might not apologize yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do maintain my original opinion, but that should not be a problem for you.

You should know, if it wasn't for the pain which Etymotic IEM's cause my ear canals, I would still own an ER-6. These IEM's do have qualities which I find very appropriate for fast/easy equalization.

(Their sound can be dramatically improved this way, if somebody knows how to do it.)

May 4, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

If you don't need the high isolation, for the original poster, I think you should also consider some of the earbuds like the Panasonic HJE070 and Audio Technica CK7, maybe even the new Sony EX90

I am thinking about the Sony EX90 (mainly because it's readily available at the Circuit City across the street). But, I'll see. I actually just bought a pair of JVC HA-FX55 from there today, and, although they sound great (especially the bass), I'm starting to think that I don't too much favor the sound of canalphones/IEM's. It kind of feels like sound is being pumped into my ears and there is almost no soundstage (which is expected, but hey, can't I wish?). Anyway, I think I might pick up the EX90's on the way home, try those out, return the JVC's tomorrow, and, if the EX90's don't suffice, I'll try the ER-6i's or UM1's(or maybe even the Creative ep630 before making that jump).

So.... Er-6i's or UM1's? I guess I just want to keep this post going.

May 5, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #25 of 47
Why not just kramer-mod the Shure e2c to balance its sound a bit then?

It should work to bring out its mids and highs
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #26 of 47
I think with the ER6i's many people do not retain a proper seal with them, for those who complain about the lack of bass. I found the ER6i's to do everything quite well for me considering its price. Listening to the E4C's, they sound very similar with the exception of bass, which it seems you are paying more for, over the ER6i's.

Currently with the ER4's, i find that the seal i get is not as great as the ones i got with the ER6i's, and again it's all about the type of eartips you are using. The deeper you can get these things into your ears, the better results your going to get.

May 5, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron
Why not just kramer-mod the Shure e2c to balance its sound a bit then?

It should work to bring out its mids and highs
smily_headphones1.gif

So how does this Kramer-mod thing work? My searches haven't been terrible successful. Thanks.

May 5, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The E2c is much more 'headphone like' than the ER-6i. The sound is significantly more balanced but there is a chunk missing off the trebles. The 6i requires some degree of acclimatisation, but even then it's still pretty thin and tinny in sound. Comparing the 6i directly against the better, reasonably entertaining yet capable ~$100 headphones (I probably hold the foamie-rolling, correctly ear-jamming speed record
biggrin.gif
), I have to say it sounds pretty horrendous, whereas the E2c merely sounds extremely lacking. The E2c is much more palatable in that respect, but it's absolutely true that it lacks in definition compared to the ER-6i once you get acclimatised to both.

One thing that I do prefer the ER-6i greatly for is the potential isolation. The Comply tips that you can get for it, and the way they sit in the average ear canal almost guarantees near-maximum isolation for the buck. If you're flying and are choosing between the E2c and the ER-6i, the Etys are the only way to go. It's just that sound though...

You make both of them sound as if they're horrible headphones! Oh well... you do come from very high end gear. I guess you probably need some "acclimatisation" to low-fi headphones again!
biggrin.gif

The E2c are KNOWN to have rolled-off highs and muddy sounding sound. I suggest you stay away from them. Most E2c users upgrade to the E3c in no time. The E3c is the ER6i's real competitor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EscaBoi
I think with the ER6i's many people do not retain a proper seal with them, for those who complain about the lack of bass. I found the ER6i's to do everything quite well for me considering its price. Listening to the E4C's, they sound very similar with the exception of bass, which it seems you are paying more for, over the ER6i's.

Currently with the ER4's, i find that the seal i get is not as great as the ones i got with the ER6i's, and again it's all about the type of eartips you are using. The deeper you can get these things into your ears, the better results your going to get.

I agree completely. I find the ER6i more comfortable than the ER4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back