How does the Sennheiser Orpheus (HE90 / HEV90) hold up?
Jan 18, 2020 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rickles

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone does a recent review of the Orpheus to see how they hold up today? I'm curious about people's impressions versus "nouveau" electrostatic setups? SR-007 Mk2 / SR-009(S) / KGSSHV Carbon / BHSE / Megatron?

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 7
The fact that there’s no replies goes to show how rare the HE90 are be coming.
The HE90 I would still say is a genre master. You can spend hours listen to them. They are just oh so smooth in their tuning.

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 7
I only saw one for sale 3 years ago for full MSRP in used condition. Even on Audiogon I've never seen one available. Maybe the best place to find a review that's recent would be on YouTube. Anyone with a pair of them probably would want to make a video showing them off.

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 7
The fact that there’s no replies goes to show how rare the HE90 are be coming.
The HE90 I would still say is a genre master. You can spend hours listen to them. They are just oh so smooth in their tuning.
They still at the very top to my ears but I have no experience with the X9000. The HE90 is plenty smooth and work great across many genres. Get the DIY T2 and it can excel in rock and heavy metal too!

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 7
@purk Got the DIY T2. Gotta love random stuff on ebay. Thanks to Benson he sent me the link.
Screenshot_20220807-111900.png

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 7
I only saw one for sale 3 years ago for full MSRP in used condition. Even on Audiogon I've never seen one available. Maybe the best place to find a review that's recent would be on YouTube. Anyone with a pair of them probably would want to make a video showing them off.

One sold here a few weeks ago (can only no amp). Check out @number1sixerfan thread for some early comments on it

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 7
Has anyone does a recent review of the Orpheus to see how they hold up today? I'm curious about people's impressions versus "nouveau" electrostatic setups? SR-007 Mk2 / SR-009(S) / KGSSHV Carbon / BHSE / Megatron?

One sold here a few weeks ago (can only no amp). Check out @number1sixerfan thread for some early comments on it

It's only been a short time, and I also haven't amped them to their true and full ability just yet. But they definitely hang with today's new TOTLs. The main tradeoff and difference to consider is that the new school of the Sr1a/TC/009 seems just a bit more technically proficient.. while the HE90 is quite a bit better than each of them from a naturalness of tone and midrange standpoint.

I don't want to say much more than that for now, as I'll be seeing what the T2 does for the HE90 when mine is modded, which I'm sure will enhance the technical aspect of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back