How does the Porta Corda compare with a similarly priced Meta42 or Super Mini?
Apr 21, 2003 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pikawel

500+ Head-Fier
Currently, I've got a Total Airhead (older model... 2AA) and I'm itching for an amp upgrade. I'm not going to say that the TAH isn't a good amp but I do feel that it's probably overpriced (I fanagled one through a trade) and just has a cheap feel to it.

The Porta Corda, Super Mini v6 (when it's released), and a nice META42 are my options here. Currently, the phones are Eggo's because I didn't want to hop right back into spending hordes of money... Yeah, so I probably won't see astounding amp benefits right off the bat. However, I can pretty much gaurantee a pair of A900 in a couple months time.

Do many people here own the Porta Corda? I don't hear nearly as much about it as I do the Super Mini or META. If anyone here has any comments on the Porta Corda, please leave them. If you've had the opportunity to compare them up against a similarly priced META, that's even better.

Ok... I need sleep.

Apr 22, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 18
I'm also looking for a portable amp so would appreciate comments on these amps.
My portable system will be
NJB3 -> (Amp)-> Ety 4S

I got to listen to the porta corda 2 recently and it definitely sounds better than the NJB3 headphone out. The bass is deeper and with better presence. The over all detail is better too.

But I haven't listened to a meta42 in any configuration or a Super Mini.

cheers

Apr 22, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 18
NJB3 + meta42 w/8620 opamp + ety ER4P->4S adapter + KSC-35s is quite a remarkable setup... the guys at the meet didn't have a single bad comment (except for the music i was playing on it). Too bad it wasn't my own portable meta42

The CHA47 I'm using right now sounds great with the ER4Ss. Granted, a meta will sound better, but for such a small investment, I'm really happy with the results on this amp.

Apr 22, 2003 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 18
if you guys can wait a while (until my supermini 5.18 will arrive)
be sure i'll compare it to the porta corda 2 i have.
i'll also get that damn PSU to amp the corda with 28V and compare the amps in different voltage modes.

Apr 22, 2003 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 18
I havent heard the other amps.
I have the Original PC...and it aint that good.

Its an ok amp on the move.

Apr 27, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 18
AdamZuf, how's that coming along?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2003 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 18
sorry for not updating this thread.
i'm waiting for V6 instead. will be out very soon.

Apr 27, 2003 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 18
I have compared the Porta Corda to a well spec'd Meta. The Meta sounds better by a fair margin and is very easily upgraded. I can't comment on the Super Mini though. I suspect the Mint Meta will also be better than the Porta Corda. We'll find out soon enough.

Apr 27, 2003 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 18
tigger,
was it porta corda 2 ?

Apr 27, 2003 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 18
The original Porta CORDA was my first amp and certainly a big improvement over no amp. It drove my HD580s (not an easy load) and then Ety4s better than anything I had heard in portable mode. Battery life was good and it was obvious when the battery needed replacement.
biggrin.gif
The Porta CORDA II is the current production in the dark case (ie. what you own, Adam).

However, in semi-portable mode now with a 24V PSU connected, the Porta CORDA is transformed (pun intended
tongue.gif
). Much more effortless with greater depth and clarity. No joke that these amp's airhose being the power supply.

Since I can't find a PCDP with significantly better line out, I have seen no reason to upgrade my portable amp section further.

Apr 27, 2003 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 18
old pa,

the PSU mode of the porta corda really has nothing with portability, but transportability. i wonder if a similar priced/sized META42 (with no PSU) will be better then a PC2 with the PSU.
for an all around amp, my guess is that a META42 would be better, but we're talking about the pure portable qualities here, i think.
yes, you can still connect external batteries, but that's also not very comfortable (you need a pouch for sure).
sizewize, i think a good comparison would be the PC2 against the supermini v6 with booster (with 9V bat attached).
also, the new crossfeed is very interesting, i hope it will be good enough (if not, they put out v7 soon
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Apr 27, 2003 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
the PSU mode of the porta corda really has nothing with portability, but transportability. i wonder if a similar priced/sized META42 (with no PSU) will be better then a PC2 with the PSU.
for an all around amp, my guess is that a META42 would be better, but we're talking about the pure portable qualities here, i think.

Without getting embroiled in semantics, using a PSU requiring mains power affects transportability (the mains requirement) and portability (the added appendage of PSU and cord). I have not heard the PCII or the META42, but audio basics dictates 1) both would benefit from the higher voltage and relatively unlimited current of a PSU based mains power supply, and 2) both will be limited by the quality of your source and the difficulty of driving load presented by the headphones used. Either or both of these differences could negate any sound difference between the two amps on batteries. These are things you will have to check out and decide upon in actual application.

Apr 27, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 18
bottom line - we got to check the differences soundwize, and then to look at them against other things and see what's the balance..

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 18
Dear Headfellows,

Just 2 notes:

The quality of the power supply is a very important factor in the quality of sound. This is true for every amp, so also for the PORTA CORDA.

While designing the PORTA CORDA I had more in mind than just increasing sound quality. I also wanted maximal battery life. The PORTA CORDA runs for upto 100 hours on a single 9V battery. The META by its concept for sure has the ability to sound better than the PORTA CORDA, but I estimate its current consumption to be at least 4 times as high! And the META requires two 9V batteries (if I'm not mistaken, please correct me if I am). So the battery consumption is at least 8 times as high!

Cheers,

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back