How does the LOD out of an iPod touch 1G compare to the HP?
Apr 7, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 9
you have not been reading many many threads about this lately. it is not the lod that makes the difference, it is that you have to use an external amp. if that amp is bright, then your music will be brighter.

the big differences are: the amp can drive the phones, the onboard amp of any player is not as good. even amping the hpo will be much better than not. the lod provides the signal from the line out to the amp, just a better signal compare to the headphone out, but the improvements are in a similar vein.

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have not been reading many many threads about this lately. it is not the lod that makes the difference, it is that you have to use an external amp. if that amp is bright, then your music will be brighter.

the big differences are: the amp can drive the phones, the onboard amp of any player is not as good. even amping the hpo will be much better than not. the lod provides the signal from the line out to the amp, just a better signal compare to the headphone out, but the improvements are in a similar vein.

Oh right
redface.gif
I slightly get it I guess.

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 9
okay, simply put, internal dpa amps are made for battery conservation, to be miniscule and provide enough power so you can enjoy music on the go.

they really cannot power anything with any degree of skill. so, if you use an external amp with them, it allows the internal amp to 'drive nothing' really. the external amp is fed the signal as well as the internal is able to spit it out and the external amp drives everything then. its larger caps, greater voltage and current will drive phones like iems, buds and large phones that cannot be driven from dpa very well.

a line out is just... well hard to describe in portable terms as it is often different from real line outs but it is essentially optimised for powering external sources.

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 9
shigzeo, My setup as of now is a Zune 120 - FiiO E5 - Shure SE530's. The volume on my Zune is at max at all times and I control the volume from the FiiO E5. Is my Zune doing less work If it is at max volume and an external amp is involved or is it doing less work directly driving my SE530's at about half volume? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back