How does the Leckerton UHA-3 stack up?
Aug 4, 2008 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mookowz13

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm currently in the market for a ~$200 Portable Amp/DAC to use with my laptop on the go and while I've done a search and read nothing but good things about the Leckerton UHA-3, I noticed alot of the posts on impressions aren't too recent...

So my question is how does the Leckerton UHA-3 stack up against other current ~$200 portables such as the IBasso D2 Boa (soon to be D3 possibly?) and the Go-Vibe Petite both dac and amp wise? I'll be using it with AKG K601s, Audio Technica ATH-A700s and UE Super.fi 3's.

Also, if someone can make a good argument for the Fuber III I'd consider that as well.

Aug 10, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 9
i'd like to see this info as well

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 9
I have been using the UHA-3 almost daily since Oct., 2007. It is what I carry with my MacBook Pro. No wall-wart to cart around. Industrial grade aluminum finish matches the Mac. No eye-candy.

I had a problem with the volume control early on. Sent it back to Nick. Repair and turn-around was very quick. An advantage for made-in-USA. Flawless operation ever since.

I admit the SQ isn't quite the same as that of my RSA amps. But, at less than half the price, you have to ask if you will settle for perhaps 90% of the SQ. If you are going to buy just one DAC/Amp, are on a budget, and are concerned with post-purchase service, this might be the one to consider.

My musical tastes are not as eclectic as most of the reviewers here. I listen to music mostly composed between 1600 and 1850. All of it is ripped in Apple lossless format. So, my standards for comparison are not as broad as other members here. The Leckerton UHA-3 handles my music very nicely. It drives my Senn 650s to louder volumes than I care to use with no clipping that I can detect. Mostly, I use the Yuin earbuds, because they are comfortable, sound great, and are more in keeping with the small / light concept.

All-in-all, count me as a very happy camper.

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 9
I personally prefer the sound of the iBasso D2 or D3 over what I remember the UHA3 sounds like. Wish I still had it to do a side by side comparison.

Ergonomics wise I kind of like the understated look of the Leckerton unit, plus the fact it is charged via the USB cable is a big plus if you plan on using it out of the laptop.

The Leckerton has the upper hand over the iBasso should the unit ever need repair/replacement. This because the S&H would be cheaper and much quicker.

Sorry but that is the best I can do going from aural memory.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Twice in the last week, my iBasso D2-Boa coughed up an anomaly. The right audio channel stopped working. The first time, it was back to normal after an overnight rest. Now, I am concerned. From posts on Head-Fi, I gather that shipping back to China is not an easy thing. Besides, I am sure the D2-Boa is out of warranty.

I had been swapping back and forth between the D2-Boa and the Leckerton UHA-3 -- half a day with each. Back to the UHA-3 full-time.

FWIW, I had 2 similar episodes with my RSA Predator over the last 2 months. Both, self-healing. I am confident that a return to Ray will be painless, if needed.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 9
I used to own a Leckerton UHA-3, and found that although the sound signature was unique, the bass response was pretty poor. My XM4 had more bass even with the bass boost turned off. On the bright side though, the Leckerton sounded better for genres of music which do not have much bass (classical, etc.) than the XM4. In the end, though, I sold the Leckerton and kept the XM4
tongue.gif

Hope this helps!

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 9
Since my musical tastes run to Baroque, the frequency profile of the UHA-3 is just right for me. It also works well for World of Warcraft audio.

P. S. After a good night's rest, the D-2 is feeling better today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back