How does the Creative Zen Xtra hold up today SQ wise?
Jan 21, 2007 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mwallace573

1000+ Head-Fier
The reason I ask is that tax time is just around the corner, and I am looking to either upgrade to a newer player or just upgrade the HDD in my Zen. The Xtra is the only DAP I have ever owned or listened to, so I have no clue how other players sound. I have heard that the output of the Xtra is very neutral. I would like to rule out iPods as an alternative, as I don't really like the smallness of them (afraid of breaking it in my warehouse job), unless it sounds that much better than my Xtra. I would also like to rule out any not in production DAPs out there (H1XX series iRiver, Karma, etc...). Video playback is not necessary, this will be used solely for audio playback, and the capacity has to be over 20GB. I guess that rules out everything except for Cowon, Creative, and Microsoft.

The Zune: I have heard a lot of good things about this player hardware wise. The software seems to be a nightmare though, but that doesn't concern me too much. My big question is does or will the Zune have a line-out? That is the one thing stopping me from jumping on this player, as I go amped 95% of the time.

Creative Zen Vision M: I have heard lots of good things about this player as well. It seems to have a good line-out (via dock that is a little bulky but looks aren't a big priority with me). I have also heard that this player's output is a bit on the bright side (not neutral like it's predecessor). Is this just from the headphone out or does it sound this way out of the line-out as well?

Cowon X5: I don't know a whole lot about this player. The biggest complaint I have heard about it is the fact that the unit has a bad line-out (something about a bass roll-off). The OGG and FLAC playback don't really appeal to me, as I already have over 20GB of self encoded mp3s and don't plan on re-encoding my library anytime soon. I have also read that this device organizes files with a directory structure, instead of reading off the ID3 tag like I am used to. Does the unit still look at the ID3 tag to get song information like the track number, artist, etc, or does it sort it by filename as well?

So many questions I know, but I want to make the right choice and have something that I will enjoy for the next couple of years.

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 3
i hope someone can help you with this. very good question.

i personally have a zen xtra and i love it. i do agree that the sound is pretty neutral, which is good if you're amping it i guess. don't bother getting an ipod, the sound quality isn't close to the xtra. i've got a friend with the vision:m but i haven't listened to it. i could probably get you an opinion soon enough. i know of nobody with the zune so i couldn't help with that either, sorry.

the creative zen xtra is a sturdy player with excellent sound quality even if it is old. it is one of the best-sounding players around (probably only second to that kenwood player w/ the built-in amp) - the best i've ever heard.

hope this helps somewhat. good luck =)

Jan 21, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 3
I used to think that the sound quality of my 40g Creative Zen Xtra was pretty good. Then I compared to a friends 20g Creative Zen Sleek. It was almost a night and day difference. His sounded a lot better. And i know he doesn't have lossless files on his. Mine are all in .WAV.

This was using the same Canare interconnect, a Cmoy, and JVC 'mallows. In fact, hearing the comparison is what made me go out and buy a new DAP.

I'm eagerly awaiting for my Cowon A2 to come in the mail. (and my grado SR-60s are in the shop too.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back