How does the AT ATH-A900 compare to the Senn HD 280 Pro?
May 28, 2007 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mike112

New Head-Fier
I just recently picked up the 280s, which are my first headphones that aren't cheapies that come with a CD player.
tongue.gif

I'm very happy with them, but I'm wondering how these two headphones compare, as the ATH-A900 was another that caught my eye while doing a bit of research. The price was a little high for me, but if they are really worth it, I may consider getting them some time in the future.

So, to people who have tried or owned both: Do you think it would be worth owning the ATH-A900 if I already have the 280s? What are the major differences in the way that they sound? Is the A900 a significantly large upgrade over the 280 like the price suggests?

Sorry if any of these are obvious questions. I'm still new to this, but I'm learning.
280smile.gif

May 28, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 10
i have the little brother of the a900

the biggest difference is the way they fit. my a700 are more comfortable, but offer very little isolation

sonically, the a700 is more bass heavy, more of a fun can

May 28, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think it would be worth owning the ATH-A900 if I already have the 280s?

Absolutely. I had the HD280 for a long time and eventually sold them. I picked up the A900 shortly thereafter. The A900, to my ears, are better in just about every way. For me, the HD280 did only two things better: it isolates much more and the bass extends lower than than the A900. Other than that, I feel the A900 is vastly superior in every way.

May 28, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 10
I used to have the HD280s. The first one that I had, I had it blu-taked. Didn't replace the cord since I liked the coil design. Also removed some other things as well...so...as Jiggly said, the bass does extend lower, and there is a lot of isolation. It's weird but I sweat more on the A900s than I do with the HD280s...which is weird since the A900s provide less isolation and whatnot. Soundwise, the A900 is better than the HD280, but for the price...I wish I had saved up a little more to get a Denon AH-D2K, but all is well.

May 28, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 10
yeah, for sure! totally differente sound signatures!

You'll like them!
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meloncoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's weird but I sweat more on the A900s than I do with the HD280s...

I experience this as well. I find it odd since the A900 has less clamping force and is just a hell of a lot more comfy in general. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

May 28, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 10
just one thing i forgot!

Consider yourself advised: they have some lack in the mids! if it is important to you, dont even try them!

instead go for ES7 or smt like that!

Cheers!

May 29, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider yourself advised: they have some lack in the mids! if it is important to you, dont even try them!

This seems to be a common opinion about the A900. I read it many times before I purchased them. However, I don't feel the mids are lacking in any way. Granted, it's not the HD650, but the mids sound perfectly fine to me.

May 29, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This seems to be a common opinion about the A900. I read it many times before I purchased them. However, I don't feel the mids are lacking in any way. Granted, it's not the HD650, but the mids sound perfectly fine to me.

Well, I believe so, in fact I think that's sort of what happened with me with my H/K Soundstick II - after starting to hear HPs like Grado sound, I totally think that they lack the mids - so I hve to recur to some Eq...

But well, that's me!

May 29, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 10
IME, the A900s are better than the HD280s in pretty much every way. I much preferred them over the HD280s. The only area that the HD280s stand out in is bass extension. Otherwise, I found the A900s more comfortable, more fun, more engaging, and just downright more enjoyable to listen to. They're great looking headphones to boot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back