How Does the 701 Compare the HD650, RS-1, and SA5000?
Dec 24, 2005 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

TheGhostWhoWalks

500+ Head-Fier
I have 650, RS-1, and SA5000. My main headphone is the Sony R10s but of course I get in the mood for something different now and then. I have my RS-1s when I want to RAWK out, my 650s when I want to mellow out, and my SA500s (that I just bought) were supposed to be the neutral phones. The phones that didn't really color the sound. That were the cousins of the Qualias - fast, tight, neutral, clean...

How do the 701s compare to those descrptions? Are they a combination of some sort? HeadRoom describes them as a mix between a Grado (immediacy) and the SA500s (Dynamic control, frequency range). They also comment on the great bass which, depending on what kind, could also be reminiscent of the 650s... So maybe this headphone is a kind of "best of"? What does Headfi think?

Dec 24, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 63
That headroom isn't quite what it used to be in my ingenuous eyes, these days.
redface.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
That headroom isn't quite what it used to be in my ingenuous eyes, these days.
redface.gif

That likely very true. I certainly wasn't going to put much stock into it. Which is why I posted on here first.
wink.gif

Truthfully, I'd very much like the 701s to be a combination of some of the best qualites of the headphones I already own. That would be much better than having to decide between selling one of mine and buying the 701s or doing without them. Of course, I'd have to hear them first. But I've had no luck finding them around here. I might just buy a pair from Todd to try them out.

Dec 24, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 63
I currently have the RS-1 and the K701. I had the HD600 and returned them (kept them for a month and burned them in for 300 hours) because I could not stand the sound (remember guys different strokes for different folks).

The K701 is everything I wanted the HD600 to be but were not. They have great detail, tight well defined bass, and great instrument separation. I really love them.

Don't get me wrong, IMO they will never be as good as my Grado RS-1 (or for that matter the RS-2) but it is a great can to own and enjoy. By the way although you can drive them out of the IPOD or an old CD player (the ones that had a headphone out) do them justice and use an amp to drive them. Good luck.

Dec 24, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo

By the way although you can drive them out of the IPOD or an old CD player (the ones that had a headphone out) do them justice and use an amp to drive them. Good luck.

Do you think they'll work with a Singlepower SDS driving a Harmonix Reimyo?
confused.gif
I want to make sure before I buy them.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the review by the way.

Dec 24, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

The amps I currently have and which I have used with the K701 are the portable AE-1 and the Mapletree Ear Purist + HD100. The closest to the one you mentioned would be the Mapletree, and the K701 sounds very good thru it (by the way my source is a NAD C542). Good luck.

Dec 24, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 63
Quote:

confused.gif
biggrin.gif

They'll sound great driven by your equipment. Whether you prefer them to your other phones (listed in your profile) is up to you. They are absolutely World Class.

The 701's are my favorite headphone, regardless of price. YMMV

Dec 24, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 63
Quote:

my SA500s (that I just bought) were supposed to be the neutral phones. The phones that didn't really color the sound.

You really didn't do to much research on the SA5000's! I wonder where you got the idea that they didn't color the sound. Nevertheless, they are not neutral.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 63
K701 is kind of a mixture of 650 and SA5000 with even a better soundstaging and positioning than what 650s have. It could be considered as "best of both worlds".

Now you're probably wondering why I sold them. That damn sibilance...

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

confused.gif
biggrin.gif

I dont think the question is even necessary

Dec 25, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
You really didn't do to much research on the SA5000's! I wonder where you got the idea that they didn't color the sound. Nevertheless, they are not neutral.

I disagree. I think they are as close to neutral as any headphone as I've heard.

Dec 25, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 63
Dec 25, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 63
Quote:

I disagree. I think they are as close to neutral as any headphone as I've heard.

i find them to be incredibly colored, even in comparison to the Sennheisers. my reference for headphone neutrality is the Grado HP-2.

Dec 25, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz

not sure what the point of this comment it. I don't find there is a definitive answer either way.

Dec 25, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
not sure what the point of this comment it. I don't find there is a definitive answer either way.

The simple point, that I am making, is that they are colored, and not neutral. Simple point!!
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back