How does one 'test' headphones before making a leap?
Apr 25, 2010 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Mehdi

Head-Fier
There are a ton of headphones out there, and many are very expensive. It is an investment in entertainment. However, with so many choices out there, it is so difficult to simply go off of aggregated opinions on these headphones. Quite frankly, I am beginning to think that it is impossible to find the perfect headphone based on personal choice, until a number of them are tried.

This begs the question... how does one test these? Are there places that allow you to test these out?

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 18
There may be some local Hi-Fi shops where you live, maybe you could get in contact with a local Head-fi member or attend a head-fi meet.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 18
You'll find the bulk of people on here aren't able to try headphones before they make a purchase so initially when you are starting out, start with a low-endish headphone that is supposedly good with the genre's of music you listen to and then move up using that as a basis to compare to other headphones based on what you liked/disliked about it.

Just do not dabble in mid-fi for too long as it will be costly and bear little fruit.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 18
I just called my local guitar center and they do have a 30 day return policy. I will be trying out a handful of headphones and will then go ahead to make the purchase.

I specifically asked if I could purchase 2 or 3, and return them if they didn't suite me. They said; absolutely.

I'll be picking up the DT880, DT770, HD595 and AD700. Perhaps I need to do some video reviews of all of these!

dt880smile.png

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehdi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just called my local guitar center and they do have a 30 day return policy. I will be trying out a handful of headphones and will then go ahead to make the purchase.

I specifically asked if I could purchase 2 or 3, and return them if they didn't suite me. They said; absolutely.

dt880smile.png

This is absolutely the way to go about your first pair. People get so stuck on the "idea" of a particular headphone before actually hearing it... it's such a painful process of separation to finally realize it isn't for you.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is absolutely the way to go about your first pair. People get so stuck on the "idea" of a particular headphone before actually hearing it... it's such a painful process of separation to finally realize it isn't for you.

For sure, I'll probably be picking up the DT880, DT770, HD595 and AD700. Perhaps I need to do some video reviews of all of these!

I should probably wait until I get my Astro MixAmp though, so that I have something decent to test against.
atsmile.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 18
I suggest you first consider whether your goal in this is to find the perfect headphone at the start, or to treat it as a hobby, and try different headphones, amp., etc. You also need to decide on your budget (although if you are on this site often enough, you can probably throw that out the window)!

The answer to these questions should help you set some basic parameters for your search. From there, your music source, types of music you listen to, closed vs open listening environment, etc. will all help you narrow things down further. After that, it is a case of doing research on Head-Fi and the mainstream media reviews, and deciding what to trust before buying, or ideally get to audition several choices first.

Last but not least price - the range of prices can be more than double for the same piece of equipment, so check here, and sources like Amazon for that information, depending on country, etc. Good luck.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehdi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For sure, I'll probably be picking up the DT880, DT770, HD595 and AD700. Perhaps I need to do some video reviews of all of these!

I should probably wait until I get my Astro MixAmp though, so that I have something decent to test against.
atsmile.gif

That's a pretty good lineup. If there's some way you can get an SR60 in the mix as well, I'd strongly suggest it as it's an entirely different sound than any of those (and one many of us love dearly).

It's funny, I was considering replacing my DT770-80 (ONLY GET THE -80 VERSION) recently, and heard a co-worker's pair. It didn't sound at all like mine did (too bassy) and I was kind of sad. It's incredible what 1000's of hours over many years can do to a headphone.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 18
Depends geographically. In Hong Kong, for example, we have a few good shops with a wide range of audition options, but no returns and resale on head-fi is more difficult (we have our own forums too, yes). In the USA, there's not always as much to audition (depends on where you are) but you can return things and it's easier to buy and sell things secondhand on head-fi. Meets are easier to find the US too, and you can make geographically proximate friends.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 18
Most of my headphone purchases where based on educated guesses, comparing what you have with others based on reviews and comparison and just general descriptions. Worked out pretty good most of the time.
If you go this way with the For Sale forum, you won't actually lose too much money if you don't like one.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest you first consider whether your goal in this is to find the perfect headphone at the start, or to treat it as a hobby, and try different headphones, amp., etc. You also need to decide on your budget (although if you are on this site often enough, you can probably throw that out the window)!

The answer to these questions should help you set some basic parameters for your search. From there, your music source, types of music you listen to, closed vs open listening environment, etc. will all help you narrow things down further. After that, it is a case of doing research on Head-Fi and the mainstream media reviews, and deciding what to trust before buying, or ideally get to audition several choices first.

Last but not least price - the range of prices can be more than double for the same piece of equipment, so check here, and sources like Amazon for that information, depending on country, etc. Good luck.

My budget is a bit undefined. I have a good chunk of cash in the bank, but the way I buy things is to buy the cheapest option that hits all my marks. This has resulted in my spending less then 90% of consumers, while other times spending more then 90%. (ie: spending $1250 on a Lemond Fitness Sport due to virtually being the last spin bike I'll ever need, plus construction that will likely never need a repair). In other words, I am certainly one who can be convinced to spend more if the value is there.

TBH, I mostly am primarily interested surround sound in gaming and movies. As such, I believe my priorities are (a) a good sound stage (b) bass (c) positioning

A pair that can fit those two categories well is what will sell me at this point in time. I mostly only listen to music when I am working out, in which case quality isn't of immense importance.

However, when I do listen to music casually, it's a flavor that you all probably aren't familiar with. Ranging from classical to new age south asian styles, which probably benefit more from sound stage and range :p

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of my headphone purchases where based on educated guesses, comparing what you have with others based on reviews and comparison and just general descriptions. Worked out pretty good most of the time.
If you go this way with the For Sale forum, you won't actually lose too much money if you don't like one.

Same here, educated guesses based on this forum primarily.

Auditioning headphones is a problem, particularly cans over £150.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #14 of 18
Apr 26, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 18
The Mixamp does NOT make a good amp for music. It's only worth using for virtual surround GAMING. Don't bother using it for stereo sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back