How does driver size affect virtual surround?
Sep 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

EmberChrysus

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new gaming headset and the most important factor to me is virtual surround for positional awareness. Since I will be using stereo headphones of course, I am wondering how driver size affects the accuracy (or I suppose the soundstage capabilities?) of the virtual surround. For example: would a larger driver allow for a more open environment and thus be able to more precisely tell at what point in a 360-degree scope a sound originated from, and how far away it was?

The headsets I'm looking at are the Sennheiser G4ME ONEs and the Audio Technica ATH-ADG1. I was dead set on the Sennheisers because I've used the brand before, it's well-trusted, and it's renowned for its quality. However, it's damn near impossible to find driver specs on Sennheisers, but after some digging I discovered they use 35-38mm (not sure on exact size) drivers whereas the ATs use 53mm. 

Now I don't know a whole lot about audio and I don't want to look like I'm saying larger drivers automatically mean the product is better, because I know Sennheiser is a reputed brand, but so is Audio Technica, so from a completely objective standpoint do you think the larger driver would provide better 3D sound? Both headsets are open acoustic.

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 3
Deep bass is "must have" for soundstage size. Generally, bigger drivers are capable to move more air. But this an assumption with any specific choice. So I recommend to search the reviews of these cans for bass depth. Do not miss it with weight. ATH-AD700 is excellent with virtual surround while pretty lean on bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back