How does an old Marantz 1060 stack up to a META42?
Nov 26, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 6
If you read through the following thread from the recent DC/MD/VA Head-Fi meet you will see a photo of my vintage Marantz 1070 and Yamaha Natural Sound CA-400 integrated amplifiers.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=20057

As the proud owner of these amps, I think they are awesome, but don't take my word for it, here is a comment from Hirsch regarding the effortless sound of the Marantz:

"The Marantz is a great solid state amp. The Yamaha sounded nice also, but didn't have the clean, effortless presentation of the Marantz. It's scare how good some of the older equipment actually is. We're going to have to progess much faster to wind up right back where we were."

Nov 26, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 6
I had that 1060 back in 1972-76. It was my first upgrade after getting into audio equipment, and even had the walnut case for it. Wish I had kept it... Always loved the look of the Marantz stuff.

I went to GAS amplification afterwards (Son of Ampzilla and Thoebe), but it was a sweet-sounding amp for the time. Nice soundstaging, but I was driving Advent speakers and Koss Pro4AA cans at the time. Not much power, 30 watts per channel, but I think the headphone circuit was not discrete in any way.

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 6
I actually have both a 1060B and a JMT-built Home Meta. While I like the Meta better (overall, it's more refined), the Marantz does hold its own. My primary use for the 1060B is to drive a pair of AKG K-1000s, which it does quite well.

Nov 30, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 6
http://www.classicaudio.com/value/mz/

it looks i may be buying a Marantz 1030 to drive the K1000's, along with a Crown D60.

How do you feel about the Marantz 1030?

Has anyone have anything to say about the Crown D60? I know that the Crown is a high damp factor, high current unit, and the headphone outputs are directly tied to the speaker outs (no opamp seperate circuit). What intetested me was the dual, seperate, power supplies for the A & B channel circuits. Anyone ever used a Crown to drive AKG K1000s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back