How does an amplifier work? does it just boost the signal and route more power?
Jan 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

acme15

New Head-Fier
I just had the idea of using my stereo as an amplifier, and WOW what a difference compared to no amplifier! I can play my music about twice as loud with better bass response! Im pretty sure that it is a terrible amplifier, but wow, what a difference xD

How exactly does an amp work? In laymans terms at first, and then in detail if you want to show off and fill a gap in my knowlege :)

Thanks guys :) 

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 4
An amplifier DOES NOT create anything.  It is simply analogus to a resistor controlling a larger voltage/current source.  Picture a variable resistance throttling the power supply reserve developed from the AC mains.  The tube or transistor is switched on off or varying a large reservoir developed by the power supply.  Of course there is more detail to it but always remember, the amp is not magically creating anything not already there. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
An amplifier DOES NOT create anything.  It is simply analogus to a resistor controlling a larger voltage/current source.  Picture a variable resistance throttling the power supply reserve developed from the AC mains.  The tube or transistor is switched on off or varying a large reservoir developed by the power supply.  Of course there is more detail to it but always remember, the amp is not magically creating anything not already there. 

a rubbish amp can take quality away though cant it? For example when i used my sterio as an amp it made everything louder but there was a decrease in bass even at the volumes i used the phones at before i used the stereo as an amp. (it is a pile of crap though, panasonic mini system using a music port and a headphone port, totally maxed out with the bass cranked up.) the whole system only cost £150 and this is just a side function... so you can probably imagine lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back