how does AKG K701 compare to teh Beyer Dt770s
Oct 9, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 2
They are very very different. I haven't heard stock 770s, but have Darth Beyers, so take that in mind with what I'm saying.

The Beyers, as I know them, have a sense of body and weight that unless seriously amped and sourced well, is not easy to bring out in the K701s. The Beyers have less soundstage, have poorer imaging and resolution, have recessed mids, and the bass more or less takes over. That said, I like them. They are fun cans and have had a place in my collection for awhile. The K701s (I don't own them, but had a ALO recabled pair at my house for a few weeks) have air, separation, huge soundstage, nice imaging, excellent tonal reproduction, detail detail detail, and on the downside, leave something to be desired as to how they may move you: they present the music accurately, but not necessarily in an emotionally connecting type way (vague, I know, but there it is). The bass is thin by comparison to most cans, not just to the 770s, but the recable really helps. A kick arse amp is necessary with K701s as far as my experience goes, whereas the 770s don't require the power and aren't as picky with what amp you may choose if you go that route. I think the K701s are by far the better headphone, but I enjoy the Darth Beyers more.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back