How does a SlimX drive ER-6's?
Jan 26, 2003 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

OriginalReaper

500+ Head-Fier
I want to get some isolation and this is the best I can find for me right now ($100 range, portable, and isolation). I was just wondering how they're driven by a SlimX.

Their impendance is 48

Thanks.

Jan 26, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't think that helps much... As far as I know, the ER4Ps and KSC35s impendance are 27 and 32, respectively. The ER6s is 48.

If nobody replies I'll just take the risk. I'm dying for some isolated listening (my family is driving me nuts)

Jan 26, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Fair point but I know the 35's can be fairly hard to drive loud with many modern players.

Another point to bear in mind is that due to the isolation properties of the Ety's you may not have to drive them so loud anyway.

If you do go ahead - let us all know what you think to the combo. I think the SlimX is an excellent machine.

Jan 26, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 7
The thing that I'm not sure about is the SlimX's hiss. If I have to play it louder (say, 30-35 on the SlimX's volume bar) will I get too much hiss?

That's what my question basically boils down to.

Jan 27, 2003 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 7
The hiss is definitely more noticable on phones like the Ety 4P and Sony 888.

On the slightly higher impedence phones like the MX400 and Koss 35's, the hiss really isn't there at all.

I tried my 4P to 4S cable on the SlimX and it certainly did reduce the hiss considerably although the volume was also reduced as a result.

I suspect that the 6's will reproduce some hiss but, if the 4P's are anything to go by, I don't think it will bother you too much - the detail tends to make you quickly ignore it.

Jan 27, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 7
You never even hear the hiss IMO. I use them all the time as my main listening pair ER-6 = IMP-350. You notice something missing and it's missing alot with this combo, you definatly need an amp IMO. I'm considering selling everything to get an xbox so I'll probally never get an amp and find out how good it could sound
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back