How does a Sansa Clip/Sony A8xx compare with..
May 23, 2008 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

darkfury18

Head-Fier
I have a diyMod 1G Nano -> Mini3 setup which I really enjoy, but I'm thinking of getting something more portable. The headphone out from the nano doesn't sound so good anymore so I don't really want to use it as a stand alone player. How does a Sansa Clip/Sony A8xx compare with the setup I have? Is it worth it to buy one of those players or will I be disappointed? I'm mostly using a modded im716, if that helps. TIA.

May 23, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 4
Wow, you have some of the same headphones I do, the same amp and I was also going to ask a similar question too!

I'm more interesting in finding out more from the bass aspect, as to which one would be capable of outputing the punchiest most copious amount of low level bass.

EDIT - Oh, sorry might be hijacking your topic a bit ^_^

May 23, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 4
Own both the Clip (1GB) and the Sony (4GB) and I prefer the Sony sound over the Clip. The Sony EQ is really alone in terms of flexibility. Not that the Clip is bad, but just not as flexible as the Sony. Also, the 4GB Sansa Clip is $75 on Amazon, but the Sony is $119. Big price difference. Based on that, the size/value is probably better with the Clip. Either way, you should be happy. Oh, one more thing. The Sony seems to require less volume with the same phones (and I have tried them all), another nod to the Sony. Sometimes, I have to crank the Clip all the way near max, but never with the Sony. Something to consider.

May 24, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 4
I was thinking of going with something over 4GB anyhow, so it's good to hear that the Sony has better SQ. How much better is the SQ of a Sony compared to a 1G nano?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back