How does a Line-Out cable work?
Apr 13, 2007 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hawkhkg11

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

This question may be asked before so I apologize for my ignorance. There seems to be a hot market for expensive iPod line-out cables lately, but before I take the plunge and buy one, I'm still a little unsure of how they exactly work.

The iPod connector as I've always assumed it, is for a data connection (1s and 0s), but the cables go directly from this to a mini-phono. Obviously with no DAC in between, I assume the iPod connector sends out an analogue signal when it detects that there is no "data connection"? Or does the connector split into a larger portion for digital and a smaller portion for analogue? Furthermore, the point of a line-out cable is to improve sound quality by bypassing the crappy amp inside the iPod. However, it seems like the signal is loud enough to drive low impedance headphones (just that the volume can't be changed). If this is the case, isn't it basically still using the amp, but just at a preset volume that isn't user controllable? I don't understand how plugging another amp into this would lead to a noticeable SQ difference.

Now, in the case of hard to drive stuff, I can understand that a LO cable would be needed to connect to an amp as the iPod at max won't be loud enough for some phones. But for easier to drive phones, is there really a SQ upgrade between a LO cable and plugging in directly?

Apr 13, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkhkg11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone,

This question may be asked before so I apologize for my ignorance. There seems to be a hot market for expensive iPod line-out cables lately, but before I take the plunge and buy one, I'm still a little unsure of how they exactly work.

Furthermore, the point of a line-out cable is to improve sound quality by bypassing the crappy amp inside the iPod. However, it seems like the signal is loud enough to drive low impedance headphones (just that the volume can't be changed). If this is the case, isn't it basically still using the amp, but just at a preset volume that isn't user controllable? I don't understand how plugging another amp into this would lead to a noticeable SQ difference.

?

You cant use the line out (i assume analogue) to drive headphones, the line
out stage that drives the line out simply is not meant to drive headphones
lineout should be used to drive HIGHEND AUDIO AMPLIFIERS/PREAMPLIFIERS/PROCESSORS etc

Quote:

I don't understand how plugging another amp into this would lead to a noticeable SQ difference.

line out is the output of the dac and also the input of the internal headphone
amplifier, plugging another say HIGHEND ANALOGUE AMPLIFIER that is better
than the internal amplifier will lead to better SQ .

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASTERTECH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You cant use the line out (i assume analogue) to drive headphones, the line
out stage that drives the line out simply is not meant to drive headphones
lineout should be used to drive HIGHEND AUDIO AMPLIFIERS/PREAMPLIFIERS/PROCESSORS etc

line out is the output of the dac and also the input of the internal headphone
amplifier, plugging another say HIGHEND ANALOGUE AMPLIFIER that is better
than the internal amplifier will lead to better SQ .

hmm.....
Is Highend a brand? I've seen him say it in other threads too...
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 8
To put it as simply as possible, a line-out dock bypasses a lot of the consumer-grade parts inside of an ipod and allows you to use a better amplifier.

Plugging right into the top of an ipod still uses an amplifier, it just uses a low quality amplifier built in to the ipod. Difficult to drive headphones, or even very sensitive headphones, can benefit from using an external amplifier.

Unfortunately, the ipod does not support "data out" from the dock connector.

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 8
ipod lod's take an analogue signal from the lineout, which is taken from before the internal amplifier in the ipod, which is after the dac. so that bypasses the internal amplifier and u plug it into ur own power amplifier, and u can get amps which are a lot better than internal amps.

as for why any amplifier is needed at all, when the lineout is plenty loud, well go listen to it through the lineout (clue: it will sound horrid). amplifiers don't just amplify - they can make it sound better. how amplifiers work - they don't boost the amplitude of the input signal, they actually recreate the signal from scratch from it's own power supply.

amplifiers all sound different. all the terms used in describing headphones also applies to amplifiers - frequency response, transient speed, etc. u can get really detailed sounding amps, ones with really punchy bass, etc. it more than just makes the sound louder. if ur thinking about what ur idea of an "ideal" amplifier is, well a device that increases volume same amount at all frequencies is impossible. a device that just changes the volume without doing anything else to the sound is also impossible.

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by papomaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm.....
Is Highend a brand? I've seen him say it in other threads too...
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

High end = good or high quality (& probably but not always a few $$$£££s!)

's all
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back