How do you wire tube sockets?
Mar 16, 2004 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

A3rd.Zero

100+ Head-Fier
Specifically, what is the 9pin on a Noval tube? Do you ground it. Also the tab in the center of the socket is for grounding, correct?

Thanks,

Milo

Mar 19, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 7
I think the 9th pin is for the tube glow. And as I've understood it, the thing in the middle is for gound, nither of the other pins (1st-9th) are ground, just glow, line out or what ever purpose the tube fills in the amp.

Mar 19, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 7
goto AmpForum > tube FAQ > DuncanXXX

you'll eventually get to the tube schematics. note that the pin outs are numbered as pins up, pointy headed top down, NOT the socket holes.

Mar 19, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Pin 9 for most noval socket dual triodes is a shield between the channels. This can be grounded or left open. I have always left this pin open with no negative effects that I can tell. I have never tried grounding the pin, so I don't know if maybe it would increase performance in some way. Some designs or tubes may need this pin grounded to work correctly. The tab in the center is for grounding as far as I know, yes. The tube socket should already be grounded, however, bnecause the chassis should be grounded and the socket is attached to the chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back