• Mostly/Always with a portable setup - I don't mind taking them outside

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I use a mix of stationary and portable setups

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters
Nov 23, 2023 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Lindholdt

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm really curious to how high-end IEM's are being used. I know they are portable devices, but if I paid more than $1000US for a set, I think I would be very cautions with taking them outside. I would most likely end up using them mostly inside at a desktop setup.

So I'm interested in hearing how you guys that actually have high-end IEM's use them?
Do you take them with you outside all the time, or do you prefer to have the mostly inside?

Nov 23, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 16
I use expensive ones indoors with a mousepad to set them down on. I keep the Yincrow X6 in the car for travel since it's worry free if the get lost or dropped. The Topping L30II is incredibly quiet for low ohm IEMs.

Nov 23, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 16
I use them indoors; at home, in the office, while visiting family.
When I travel (rarely) for work, I might bring them, but only use them when I'm sitting down at a conference or in a hotel.

Nov 23, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm really curious to how high-end IEM's are being used. I know they are portable devices, but if I paid more than $1000US for a set, I think I would be very cautions with taking them outside. I would most likely end up using them mostly inside at a desktop setup.

So I'm interested in hearing how you guys that actually have high-end IEM's use them?
Do you take them with you outside all the time, or do you prefer to have the mostly inside?
Sitting on a subway or go train, I did a quick inventory. iPhone 2 g, chord hugo 2.5 g, dhc cable 1.5 g, noble encore 2 g. Yup stopped taking that gear out downtown in public but no issues in walking around suburbia.

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 16

I bought a Sony M9 for stage monitoring (it is good for that due to the comfort, warm neutral profile and excellent isolation and technical chops).

So once a week, it will be brought along for stage gigs. I keep it in a hard case when on the go. Otherwise it stays at home the rest of the days for desktop use only.

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 16
So far, it's pretty even.
I've got a lot of respect for you guys taking all your expensive gear on the go, and actually using it as a portable device. Not sure I could do that 😁
A 1000USD IEM, maybe. But getting into the 2k+ territory, I'm quite sure I couldn't make myself use them out and about 😬

Nov 25, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 16
I grew up below the poverty line and don’t take this stuff for granted. I’m a firm believer of using the hell out of what I spend my hard earned money on. I don’t have any really expensive IEM’s, but I have replaced a transmission in this:
IMG_5806.jpeg

Enjoy them in whichever way that makes you happy.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 16
I live near NYC so when I go out in the city I use mass transit. A perfect place for IEM, so I use them or one of my TWS.

I use my IEM's plenty at home. I also bring them to work and use them on dog walks, as my dog comes to the office with me. Also on his walks from home, same thing. I like bringing out my Volür or Z1R. I'm not worried about anything happening.

Even at home I use them via my portable amps/dacs, not with my two desktop setups.

As far as safety in the city, unless I'm going out for a really late big party night, I'm not concerned. During those times I take a cheaper pair of TWS.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 16
I assume that street robbers probably aren't audiophiles, so would be more worried if I was wearing some Beats.

Fear of dropping my m9's is higher on the scale for me.

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #12 of 16

Parisian underground, and at home when my main sedentary system (dedicated room, etc) is "sleeping" 🙂😉

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 16
I assume that street robbers probably aren't audiophiles, so would be more worried if I was wearing some Beats.

Fear of dropping my m9's is higher on the scale for me.
Agreed and this is exactly what I am witnessing every day's 😉

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 16
I grew up below the poverty line and don’t take this stuff for granted. I’m a firm believer of using the hell out of what I spend my hard earned money on. I don’t have any really expensive IEM’s, but I have replaced a transmission in this:

Enjoy them in whichever way that makes you happy.
Agreed too 👍

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wat...s-post-your-pics.70190/page-944#post-17798963

Exceptions :

1/ pricey iems plus cable (I.e. "my endgame"... In my signature)... Not really the dap although it is super excellent. But for the two first one products, it is a plus 2.5k budget... Total : near 3k budget, so it's a great amount of money in my book, for a portable use... And it's a great amount of 🤑....
2/ Average family (money wise).

😉

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #15 of 16
All my iems are customs, so I use them when I need to use iems. This means portable out and about when needed, at the gym, on trips with family, on air travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back