How do you transport your headphones
Jul 24, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #16 of 24
Not brought any of my full-size headphone on flights so far, but prepare to do it in a couple of months.
Quite sure I will put them in the aluminum flight case, or wooden box (depending what I bring), then care aboard in hand luggage. Really do not trust the luggage handlers. They throw luggage around and the numbers of lost luggage is very high.

It is shame, since it limit what we can bring along. But so be it!

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was under the impression that headphones with a certain length cord (read short cord) cannot be taken in carry on as they can be used to strangle someone. Is this not a danger with taking them as carry on?

I took my Sony MDR-V150 as a carry on. That has a pretty long cord. (Somewhere around 5 or 6 feet) No one stopped me..

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #18 of 24
If you have the option, drive. Even if you need to rent a car.(u-haul?)
biggrin.gif

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #19 of 24
I would drive... but my school is 3000 miles away.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breznikov /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So phones with a long cord can't be used to strangle someone?

x2 I've brought my A500s and K271s on a flight carry on and it's pretty easy to strangle someone with their 7 feet cables...

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #21 of 24
when i went to canjam, i brought my portable gear in my bag and a pair of full size also. They didnt even ask about my ipod/amp/lod/hippocase combo....just dropped it in the bin and let it go through the machine...didnt stop me for anything. I had like 2 laptop batteries, about a dozen or so rechargeable AA/9V batteries, 2 players (Ipod and a small samsung), 2 small portable amps. I guess they not threatened by a asian guy with alot of electronics. I should of just hung a dozen cameras from my neck to fit the profile.

i packed up my home amp and stuff in my checked in luggage, wrapped up in the middle of my clothes.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys check your headphones at the airport, or take them as carry on?

Carryon. 100% of the time. I've got a rolling suitcase the maximum legal size for a carryon that's pretty much dedicated to electronics...I'll take my portable rig in my "personal item", and anything extra or desktop-like gets carefully packed into the suitcase, cushioned by clothing, and put in the overhead bin.

Think of it this way...you're investing quite a lot of money in audio gear, and, unlike something like a computer or the like, it's probably going to last you years to come, or have a decent resale value sometime down the road. You're losing a lot more losing a $500 headphone rig than a $500 laptop, since you've probably used a lot less of the headphones' useful life.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was under the impression that headphones with a certain length cord (read short cord) cannot be taken in carry on as they can be used to strangle someone. Is this not a danger with taking them as carry on?

At least for US domestic flights, here is the TSA list of prohibited items on airplanes...and it doesn't say anything about headphones. You have to check your nunchaku and shuriken, I'm afraid...they're explicitly forbidden.

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least for US domestic flights, here is the TSA list of prohibited items on airplanes...and it doesn't say anything about headphones. You have to check your nunchaku and shuriken, I'm afraid...they're explicitly forbidden.

Damn. What about my ninja suit? I love the way the little footies look with my big toe out by itself.
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back