How do you take care of IEM's?
Jan 3, 2010 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

TheRH

Headphoneus Supremus
How do you take care of your IEM's? ( cleaning, maintenance, storage, etc)

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 19
I currently use Monster spray cleaning fluid for Plasma TV's and electronics with a nice Microfiber cloth to clean the IEM body and bore. I clean and coat the 3.5mm jack plug with Contact Cleaner and then add a coat of Poly Phenyl Ether to keep the gold plate corrosion free with optimum conductivity. I also keep a good coat of Tire shine spray on the cable itself, its always shiny black, and will not crack in the near future. I roll the Comply tip with a clean Kleenex before and after using.

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 19
I never thought about the contact cleaner, that is quite smart. I have the Klipsch S4's and use the silicone tips. Do you think there are any special precautions of other methods to keep them clean?

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 19
If/when I use the silicone tips, after use I fill a small cup with Hydrogen Peroxide about 1/2" of liquid, and set the tips in there for a minute, and swirl it arround a little, and rub with my fingers. Take the tips out and pour distilled water over the tips to rid of the Peroxide smell, then set on paper towel to dry.

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisssssssss2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep them in a box.

What happens if you dont put them in a box?

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 19
you run the risk of damaging the product. I've read stories of people putting throwing tf10s in their bags like beater ear buds and having them break.

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 19
my iems are either in my ears or in an altoids can..spare tips and stuff in a plastic bag in my desk

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you run the risk of damaging the product. I've read stories of people putting throwing tf10s in their bags like beater ear buds and having them break.

Well I wonder why someone would do that to their TF-10's knowing how much they are worth, especially if they paid retail. ... Could it be that THEY DONT CARE, or that they easily buy a new pair at retail price at any given moment. If someone made twice as much as I make now, they would not bother going through all I do to take care of them either.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 19
well maybe they dont know any better? my first pair of iems were the er6i and i just put it in my pocket and backpack when i got them until i found out they were supposed to be put in a case and all that stuff

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's cause they're TF10s.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 19
I have pair of Klipsch S4's and some NuForce NE-6's and I keep them in the cases that they came in. And when I travel I use a soft bag that is made for MP'3 players. Although I plan on getting a Pelican case that is bigger and water/air tight.

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 19
Before my old SoundMAGIC PL30 got all the rubber coat in the housing peeled by such treatment, I cleaned both the housing and the tips with isopropyl alcohol. To date, it has worked pretty well to degrease the phones and the tips with many kinds of phones, but after the PL30 issue, now I wash the tips only (I still use isopropyl alcohol for that, to remove wax, etc.).

For cleaning cables and housings, the sprays for cleaning LCDs work decently well. For the contacts, isopropyl alcohol or contact cleaner, whatever I have at hand. Usually I don't need to clean them, as I don't touch them at all.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 19
Cleaning: Damp cloth, nothing interesting, no solvents. Tips get a peroxide soak every week or so.

Storage: hard eyeglass case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back