How do you switch: speakers/cans without reaching
Dec 15, 2006 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Abouna

500+ Head-Fier
In my search for a non-onboard soundcard I've started wondering what everyone is doing to switch between cans and speakers? I really don't want to reach behind my computer to do this obviously.

I haven't seen too many solutions to this other than something like the X-fi with bay panel. Or an external card which could be accessed more easily.

I don;t suppose there are any cards that separate headphone audio from system audio?

Dec 15, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 9
Well, I'm going to be doing this by running my not-too-distant EMU0404 to a n not-too-distant headamp with RCA outs like the HA20, then connect the RCA outs to my AV receiver. When I want to switch I unplug the headphones and cick on the amp.

Another alternative is you just use a dual miniplug adapter. And run an extension cable to your desk, and unplug/plug in your headphones from there. Switch off your speakers when you plug it in.

Dec 15, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 9
You tend to turn off headphones by unplugging them or turning off the amp, and speakers by turning off the amp. You could do this in software but it would be a bit of a hassle to set up.

Dec 15, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 9
I wired up a little switch, that only contains 1/8" jacks. When I plug in my headphones, it disconnects the speakers. Works pretty slick. But now I am using an AlienDAC which is 10x better than coming out of a sound card.

Dec 15, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 9
I use an external sound card, with the headphones going straight into the headphone out, and the speakers going from speaker/audio out. When the headphones are plugged in, all sound is outputted through my headphones. As soon I take the headphones out the sound is outputted through my speakers.

Dec 15, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 9
This is something I also want to do very easily without having to switch cables or something complicated like that. This in fact the main reason I still use my Marantz receiver as headphone amp and speaker amp from my soundcard. That way I can just leave my headphones plugged in (271 so when closed no sound) and still have my speakers going. When I want to switch I just hit the speaker switch on the receiver and they go silent and then put on my headphones and they are being driven just fine by the amp still.

Dec 16, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use an external sound card, with the headphones going straight into the headphone out, and the speakers going from speaker/audio out. When the headphones are plugged in, all sound is outputted through my headphones. As soon I take the headphones out the sound is outputted through my speakers.

Which sound card is that?

Dec 16, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 9
The Chaintech AV-710 can do this. I currently have the alt output (Wolfson DAC) feeding my PA2V2 amp, and a set of TDK speakers hooked up to the regular stereo output. The only drawback is that the Wolfson DAC is only for 1 channel, and the other channels are supposedly less than ideal if you have high-quality gear.

Alternatively, the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 may be an option as well, since it has a dedicated (and amped) headphone output. And it has decent DACs for all the channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back