how do you stop your dog from barking?
Jul 21, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #16 of 29
Lots of patience and lots of consistent training.

Jaska's link is the best long term solution.

Debarking is cruel and does not work.

Oh, here's a pic of my dog MoMo being as "vicious" as she possibly can be. Anyone that has ever met MoMo in person would be very surprised by this pic.

Of course, MoMo is a Havanese which in general are pretty quiet and docile. MoMo is an extreme example of quiet and docile.

-Ed

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of patience and lots of consistent training.

Jaska's link is the best long term solution.

Oh, here's a pic of my dog MoMo being as "vicious" as she possibly can be. Anyone that has ever met MoMo in person would be very surprised by this pic.

Of course, MoMo is a Havanese which in general are pretty quiet and docile. MoMo is an extreme example of quiet and docile.

-Ed

my dog is havanese as well, and she only barks when someone knocks on the door and stops. I personally have no problem with my dog barking as well. She's pretty quiet most of the time.

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey at least you don't have this dog...

Tiny Dog Has Been Barking Nonstop For 6 Years | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

I think I would've choked that dog to death by then
very_evil_smiley.gif

That dog has some very tolerant people...
wink.gif

Good thing they're not open 'phone fanatics
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Au contrare mon ami. I'm on my third dog using the collar which means two decades of experience. The collars can and do work quite well. It has stopped the talking, er, I mean barking
smily_headphones1.gif
. Since the only time the dog is nicked is when it chooses to bark, any dog of reasonable intelligence soon figures the program out and you are well on your way to success.

I freely admit I keep company with dog trainers who train dogs to hunt. To a trainer they recommend either the bark collar or water therapy. I chose the former as kinder, gentler method. I too love my dogs dearly, and am only 6 weeks removed from putting down my sweet Maizie. Of course patience and consistancy is the key to effective training, but the collars available today are a great asset ... and if used wisely and sparingly, effective training aids.

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #20 of 29
The 6 year dog? Bag of rocks in the water. As for your dog, I would try exposing the dog to whatever scares him. If its the doorbell then ring it until he stops. And if all else fails then get a bag full of rocks and toss that sucker in the water. There are other dogs.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 6 year dog? Bag of rocks in the water. As for your dog, I would try exposing the dog to whatever scares him. If its the doorbell then ring it until he stops. And if all else fails then get a bag full of rocks and toss that sucker in the water. There are other dogs.

You are joking, right?

Let's choose a breed known to bark. Then let's adopt a one year old Shih Tzu possibly without knowledge of its early socialization experiences or the temperaments of its parents. A lack of confidence (manifest in excessive barking) is likely attributable to an interaction of both factors. When the dog barks inconveniently let's kill it so it suffers as it dies. Then let's make the same mistakes over again with another canine victim.

No, wait a minute. Let's not.

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by aztericx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a co-owner of a dog that sometimes barks a lot. I simply use this method to stop her from barking:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ondah/rttr.jpg

After a few seconds she calms down and stops barking.

I LOVE that picture.

Personally, i would prefer for my dog to bark when someone is nearing the home. Psychology has taught me that you need to reinforce the act of not barking in order to teach the dog. For example, you can teach it to be quiet by holding its mouth (like the picture above) and telling it to "QUIET!" If it quiets, give it a treat. If it doesn't, don't. Soon you won't even have to hold its mouth (not sure about how soon). Repeat thoroughly with a friend who'll knock on the door occasionally.

I don't have any long-term experience myself though. I've only taught a dog to sit and thats it.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are joking, right?

Let's choose a breed known to bark. Then let's adopt a one year old Shih Tzu possibly without knowledge of its early socialization experiences or the temperaments of its parents. A lack of confidence (manifest in excessive barking) is likely attributable to an interaction of both factors. When the dog barks inconveniently let's kill it so it suffers as it dies. Then let's make the same mistakes over again with another canine victim.

No, wait a minute. Let's not.

Yes I was joking, but not about the exposure part.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Argh, my neighbor has a dog that barks crazily loud none stop even when he thinks there is something abnormal, Driving me nuts!!! Some times I got the urge to pull out my 12 gauge Mossberg!

Call the pound, if they have to come out a few times they will take his dog away from him.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
about a month ago, i got a 1.25 year old ****zu.

ROTFLMFAO! I am dying at the way forums' P.C. censor software screws up. On a bicycle forum, somebody was trying to say someone "sniggered" at his new bike and their censor blocked out everything from the "s" to the "ed".

Seriously, dogs bark because that's how they communicate and it's their job. Dogs bark to notify, to inquire ("who's there?"), to greet, to stake out their domains, and to express a variety of emotions. I never try to get my girls to stop barking entirely, but , if you get them young and have effective communication (they understand what you want), barking can be reduced. First you identify the unwanted behavior to the dog clearly. Then you correct with a consistent command. I use "quiet" and "no bark" with varying amounts of verbal force (usually depending on how much my girl's bark has startled me
eek.gif
)

BTW, my girl Jenny was the barking queen. She used to give full alerts when any new presence was detected in the area. This was particularly interesting because her preferred sleeping place at night was "under the covers". She'd hear something in the middle of the night and stand up under the covers in the middle of the bed and sing out. No sneaking up on us!
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #29 of 29
We tried a bunch of things with our collie, but the only thing that got her to stop barking constantly was... another dog. She still barks at squirrels and such, but it's not a 24/7 stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back