How do you shop for / decide on headphones?
Jul 25, 2018 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zapp_Fan

Member of the Trade: Aiwa
So, let's get this out of the way - of course I have an agenda for asking this question because I work for a company that sells headphones. I hope you don't view the relationship between audiophile and industry to be an adversarial one, but if you do, no need to spill your secrets. :)

Still, I hope nobody is offended that I want to know how real headphone fans think. It can't be worse than assuming we know, or just guessing. And I think in general it is interesting to share our personal processes and see if maybe we can save ourselves some time, money, or effort.

Aside from the obvious (head-fi) how do you find out about new headphones, how do you evaluate whether they're worth your money, and when do you ultimately make the decision to place an order?

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 10
I start by searching reviews on multiple sites--Head-fi, headfonia, headfonics, the headphonelist, friends that are trusted, eg. I try to find some consensus about the perceived overall quality of the item and its specific features. If I don't find any commonality among the different sources, then I frequently will dismiss the item and not purchase. If I find consistently very positive reviews, I then look at pricing. I will not buy something expensive (>$750) unless the reviews are superb and consistently so. For less expensive items, I am more willing to take a flyer on something with some positive and some less positive reviews. I also rate the quality of the review--some are better than others. Some reviewers are more reliable than others. Brand prestige plays a role. Oh, and lastly, my previous experience with a brand name plays into the decision-making. I had a headphone from a prominent maker fall apart after a year and it was not covered by the mfr. I won't buy from them again because they did not take care of me. Good service, on the other hand, is a real plus. It is important. Service and build quality reputation matter.
Those are the basics of my personal process. Thanks for the thread--this is a very good topic for us, IMO.

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Very solid response, thanks for taking the time!

Would you say a better return policy / warranty makes you more willing to 'take a flyer' on a headphone, or is it more just a price thing for you?

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 10
Concur with serman005.
I do look for return policies from sellers, the better retailers will accept stuff back within a reasonable time, e.g. 14 days and refund in full. Amazon are good for this. Another factor is whether the manufacturer warranty is transferable - some are some aren't. Can make a difference if wanting to sell gear or buy used.

Aug 8, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 10
Interesting, when you look at a warranty / return policy, what matters most? Is it the return window (i.e. no questions asked, send it back for refund) or the warranty window, or both? Do you think there's a length of return / warranty window that's long enough where more wouldn't matter, or is it a "more is more" situation? Would 5 years be better than 3 years, or at that length are they basically the same for you?

Aug 8, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 10
return policy is reflection of retail. Some won't for HP over X dollars, some will. Some not IEM....That would be the most important factor i suppose. Just in case you purchase and can't stand the sound, or not what you expected. As for warranties in this biz, aside from batteries, not a factor. your HP will not last for 3-5 but probably forever. Plus any manufacturer worth its salt will help if there is a defect down the road.....

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 10
Return policy and warranty period are both important to me but it's not a deal breaker. You have to factor in the price too. For high quality gear, if it's going to fail, it probably will in the first year and in any case, a manufacturers warranty is only a promise to fix something and is not binding in law (at least in the UK). That's why we have consumer protection laws and goods should last a 'reasonable' time which would invariably be more than a year. As for returns policy, if you don't like something then you should know within 14 days so return policies of 30 days are quite generous I think. Of course, some retailers will charge a 're-stocking' fee while other will not. So, a number of factors to consider plus I also read the retailers terms and conditions on website. If no T&C are visible, I stay clear. If T&C's are outdated, i.e. quote outdated laws, then I'm a bit wary. There are many good, honest retailers out there which is the good news.

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 10
I go through a ton of headphones and the best piece of advice I can give is get something with a warranty from a local place you can hop in and exchange quickly. You can get a good sounding pair from best buy for 60 bucks and throw another ten at the two year warranty. There's 70 bucks for two years of headphones that you can replace quickly and without much hassle
Best inversion table

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 10
Look for reviews - mainly from people I trust. Definitely look for more fact based rather than a lot of the "advertising" pieces that are passed off as reviews.

Also look to see if the company has posted real specifications + (if headphones / earphones) a frequency response chart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back