How do you remove the metal screen on the K1000?
Jul 30, 2006 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I need this one answered. How do you remove the metal screen on the K1000? There is something in the right enclosure that makes deep bass have a rattle, and it goes away if I apply pressure on the screen.

So how the heck do you remove it? I have seen pictures of it removed. Is it those two tiny screws on the bottom of the earspeakers? I hope not, they refuse to budge in either direction.

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 18
Although I've never done it, my impression from many articles, posts, etc. is; if you thought getting 'em off is hard, wait until you try getting 'em back on!

Think about getting a can of compressed air first and giving 'em a good blowing. You won't believe the junk that comes out (uggh.)

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 18
I have tried compressed air, it worked for a little bit, but then it came back, so I think there is something stuck on the frame in there, mabey a loose flap of plastic from when the frame was made or something.

So, how do you remove it? If it is really hard to get on and off, or there is any risk of damaging it, I guess I could live with it.

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 18
Sorry I can't help you but, please do some searches on re-cabling or hard-wiring the K1000s. I just can't remember where, but I've seen step-by step articles. Of course the removing of the screens would be of value to you. Good luck.

BTW, were they like this when you bought 'em??

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 18
They were used, but in absolute mint condition, less than 10 hours on them. It's not the fault of the previous owner though, I did some searches and I found several people had the same issue when they were brand new. Like I said it is because of some kind of plastic flap or some little imperfection in the enclosure from the production line. I would like to nip it in the bud if possible. It only occurs with REALLY deep and loud bass in a recording, which most songs do not have.

Jul 30, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 18
Yes, it's the screws on the bottom. Just get a screwdriver that fits them very, very well and make sure to press down hard so you don't risk stripping them. One of my screws is almost stripped, so I need to have it replaced soon. I disagree with those who said putting the grilles back on is really hard. I don't even use an adhesive, and I still have no rattle of any kind.

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 18
Why is it hard taking them on and off? Is there an adhesive involved? Or do they just come off when you unscrew them?

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 18
Well the screws are stripped. I guess I'm SOL. I have a screwdriver that fits them PERFECTLY, this is annoying. They simply refuse to budge. Any way to remove stripped screws?

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Well the screws are stripped. I guess I'm SOL. I have a screwdriver that fits them PERFECTLY, this is annoying. They simply refuse to budge. Any way to remove stripped screws?

If the screwdriver fits in them and they won't budge, this does not mean the heads are stripped. If the heads were stripped, your screwdriver would turn and turn and turn and the screw would sit there. If this is not the case, and the screwdriver fits them perfectly and nothing moves, they're simply screwed in very tightly.

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003

Get a longer screwdriver, a T-handled screwdriver, find a screwdriver bit for your drill, etc.

You can do it.

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
If the screwdriver fits in them and they won't budge, this does not mean the heads are stripped. If the heads were stripped, your screwdriver would turn and turn and turn and the screw would sit there. If this is not the case, and the screwdriver fits them perfectly and nothing moves, they're simply screwed in very tightly.

No, I stripped them trying to unscrew them. Thats how tight they are. And yes, I was screwing in the right direction. They did not budge at all. I did a google search and it seems there may be a way to remove them. Either using a "stripped" screwdriver, or using a square screw head. It would have to be small. I think that's what I'll try, I will get the right size from my hardware store monday. The rattling really is only present if the volume is way up and there is some serious, SERIOUS bass.

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
No, I stripped them trying to unscrew them. Thats how tight they are. And yes, I was screwing in the right direction. They did not budge at all. I did a google search and it seems there may be a way to remove them. Either using a "stripped" screwdriver, or using a square screw head. It would have to be small. I think that's what I'll try, I will get the right size from my hardware store monday. The rattling really is only present if the volume is way up and there is some serious, SERIOUS bass.

On a side note, are you sure of your diagnosis? The driver could have a slight tear which would exhibit the same symptoms you've described.

What will you do if you get the screens off and you can't find this suspect piece of plastic??

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 18

after you remove the screen,do yourself a favor and listen to it without the screen ONCE!it is the best HP i have ever heard if "nude".

I tried a smaller screwdriver but it's harder to get the screw out,i think the bigger one work best.

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_josephina
On a side note, are you sure of your diagnosis? The driver could have a slight tear which would exhibit the same symptoms you've described.

What will you do if you get the screens off and you can't find this suspect piece of plastic??

Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine? Jeez, the guy is having a hard enough time getting in there as it is. Now, he's got something else to worry about. Of course he's not sure of his diagnosis. How could he be? He's not in there yet...

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #15 of 18
It's not a tear, as I've gotten it to go totally away before, but it keeps coming back. As I also said other people have the same problem with a brand new K1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back