How do you pronounce "tinnitus?"
Jul 19, 2004 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Factor

500+ Head-Fier
I always thought it was pronounced tin-NYE-tus, but I have a teacher that pronounces it TIN-ni-tus. It sounds like more of a British take on the word, but he's not British so I'm confused.

Jul 19, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
tit-night-us

Wrong!!
tongue.gif

Tinitous is probably the best phonetic spelling I could give. "Tin It" as in the two seperate words and "ous" as in concious.

Jul 19, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 22
ti-NIGHT-us
or
ti-ni-tus

most people recognize the two different pronounciations as do I believe credible sources

Jul 19, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by NPoet
ti-NIGHT-us
or
ti-ni-tus

most people recognize the two different pronounciations as do I believe credible sources

The second one of those is how it is pronounced in the UK. I would expect that the first one is an acceptable pronounciation too. So many words can be expressed in so many ways!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
frown.gif
, yeah, it sucks.

yea, it does, but I can never remember a time where I ever did not have it, so I've grown to the point where I can only hear it if I concentrate and it's quite, or if I throw my closed cans on and play no music

just means I have to listen to more music
wink.gif

but as I learned from my concert experiences, always keep the volume at a very reasonable level... I just feel sorry for the people that have not gotten used to it enough to the point where they either don't notice it or it doesn't bother them, I suppose when you just get it and notice you have it it's really bad...
I just can't ever remember true silence
confused.gif

I liek to call silence, white noise and fans
biggrin.gif
sorta blocks it out well

Jul 19, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 22
I pronounce it.....
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
At least thats how its pronounced in my left ear.
eek.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by NPoet
ti-NIGHT-us

This is how we pronounce it here in the anatomic pathology lab. However, I have heard the second syllable pronounced with a short "i" as well. You say tomato, I say tomahto.
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 22
I never pronounced it at all until you people started talking about it, and suddenly it was there.
rolleyes.gif

I'm like NPoet. I've lived with it for so long its sort of an environmental given. Then a thread like this one turns up, and I become acutely aware that the crickets have begun to chirp.

BW

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 22
I always pronounced it "ti-nigh-tus" until my mom corrected me and said it's "tin-i-tus". Hmmm...I guess I was right the first time after all!

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #13 of 22
ti-ni-tus is how I would pronounce it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back