How do you pay for your gear?
Jan 15, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #46 of 73
It took me a few years to get a lot of my gear because I saved money little by little. In my opinion, it’s ok to save money for like 4-5 years or even longer to finally get the stuff you need (if you’re buying high priced stuff). I feel that high quality audio gear will last a few decades or a life time so waiting a few years is worth it.

I’m still not finished. I plan on making some upgrades on my vinyl rig and it will probably take me a few more years to accomplish it since I’m saving a little money each month. I’m not in a hurry though since I can still play my records and it already sounds great. But the upgrades will refine it further and after that, it’s pretty much my end game.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #47 of 73
It took me a few years to get a lot of my gear because I saved money little by little. In my opinion, it’s ok to save money for like 4-5 years or even longer to finally get the stuff you need. I feel that high quality audio gear will last a few decades or a life time so waiting a few years is worth it.

I’m still not finished. I plan on making some upgrades on my vinyl rig and it will probably take me a few more years to accomplish it since I’m saving a little money each month. I’m not in a hurry though since I can still play my records and it already sounds great. But the upgrades will refine it further and after that, it’s pretty much my end game.
Your story reminded me of this clip. I hope we don't become this man.

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #48 of 73
The good news is that in the past three years, CHIFI has become super affordable yet of good sound for IEMs, and has caught up to the western midfi segment.

I used to spend north of $400 every few years to get some midfi multi driver iems. Nowadays even sub $50 usd can give some good sound that is not too far away from these western midfi sets. So we can even indulge in a few different sets with different tuning and not have to sell a kidney in the process.

Jan 15, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #51 of 73
446683B9-E668-441C-AE79-22D8048C45A7.jpeg

I pray for it that night and Amazon delivers in the AM?

Mar 7, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #53 of 73
I never purchase anything without selling something first. All of my gear was purchased used or at a great discount... Saved thousands. Never use credit for anything I can't pay for at the end of the month.

Dave Ramsey — 'If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.'

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #55 of 73
I became a dealer for the brands and components I wanted so I could buy them at cost.. in some cases, I actually sold a few units for a small profit. I belonged to the audio club and arranged for some brand CEO, engineers to come out and show off their wares... A trip to CES can yield some good deals too and many dealer demos would rather sell it for less than drag it home..
I also found that used audio gear is generally well cared for and can be had for a bargain prices over new...

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #56 of 73
I agree. Used is probably the best way to go if you’re not too picky,

Buy something that was popular 3 years ago at a used price and you’ll find a good deal. Be patient too. Wait a little and eventually you’ll find someone who will sell it at a lower price than normal.

I remember buying just 2 items used at a significant discount and I literally saved $1300...!

Also remember that just because something was popular 3 or 5 years ago doesn’t mean that it’s lesser quality now.

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #57 of 73

Buy something that was popular 3 years ago at a used price and you’ll find a good deal. Be patient too. Wait a little and eventually you’ll find someone who will sell it at a lower price than normal.

I remember buying just 2 items used at a significant discount and I literally saved $1300...!

Also remember that just because something was popular 3 or 5 years ago doesn’t mean that it’s lesser quality now.
I saved ~ $7,000 purchasing my Simaudio Moon 600i from a Head-Fi member last year.

I sent it to the factory for a cleaning and look over... They upgraded the firmware and sent it back saying it was in perfect condition.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #58 of 73

Yep +1 to getting used gear for cheaper. For budget gear maybe it ain't worth the costs, but for midfi to TOTL gear, there's always good bargains that are well maintained to be gotten out there.

The only issues with used gear i found so far are the need to spend more cash to reshell custom IEMs and also i am still not sure how to disinfect/clean earpads for 2nd hand cans. Any suggestions?

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #59 of 73
Yep +1 to getting used gear for cheaper. For budget gear maybe it ain't worth the costs, but for midfi to TOTL gear, there's always good bargains that are well maintained to be gotten out there.

The only issues with used gear i found so far are the need to spend more cash to reshell custom IEMs and also i am still not sure how to disinfect/clean earpads for 2nd hand cans. Any suggestions?

My reply doesn’t “really” address your question per say but, I just bought a used pair of HD660 S & ordered a new pair of Sennheiser ear pads from Amazon. (I also replace the ear pads on my HD600 & HD650 every two years).

Yes, it makes the deal a bit more expensive but I’m still ahead by a couple of hundreds. I’ll treat the headband with “Purell”.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #60 of 73
Used gear where possible, new gear where needed. I will carry some reasonable debt for maybe 4 months, but I try to sell other gear off to minimize the hit. I recently went a little wild and picked up some Monitor Audio PL200s that were absolutely mint, almost unused as they were the bedroom system of a fairly well-to-do condo developer. He hadn't even used them in 3 years as his main system was so good that nothing else got his listening time. My great luck as for 1/3 of the new retail, and no sales tax I ended up with these wonderful speakers. I will have to sell off some headphones mind you, but it will be worth it. Great speakers at such a discount are not as common as you would think, mind you, there are always deals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back