How do you pay for items from international websites? Is there a better method than credit card?
Dec 6, 2010 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

absoluNewbie

100+ Head-Fier
So my credit card is convinient, but charges an extra 2.5% on every foreign currency order, is there a better way (read: cheaper), or is 2.5% pretty much the standard fee? thanks.

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 9
paypal? google checkout?

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 9
is either accepted by most online stores? amazon etc? what are their fees? and dont tell me they need credit card to operate....i.e. how do i pay for either?

edit: as i understand google chckout is a streamline service, but require credit card as well, how does paypal work?

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 9
Personally i wouldn't buy anything if they do not accept pay-pal. But thats just me. If you have to use a credit card i would go and buy a pre-loaded one from your local bank or Wal-mart. Just looking out for you.

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 9
My old credit card was absorbed by one of the large credit card companies (I can't even remember which one) and with that change, they started charging a 3% foreign transaction fee.

I canceled the card and got one from a different company that doesn't have a fee.

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Most international purchases have been through credit card. The other times were paypal where they have that option and that's only been through a mail forwarding serivce.

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
My old credit card was absorbed by one of the large credit card companies (I can't even remember which one) and with that change, they started charging a 3% foreign transaction fee.

I canceled the card and got one from a different company that doesn't have a fee.

looking for one like this too, so you only pay a flat annual fee, or there's no fee at all?

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 9
No annual fee, no international fee - I even get cash back. It's a Capital One card (which are supposed to be lousy if you carry a balance, so be forewarned).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back