How do you organize your music?
Mar 5, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #16 of 66
Artist (Last Name, First Name for proper names; "The" to the end, normal order for stage names)
Aphex Twin
Beatles, The
Hendrix, Jimi

Year - Album Name
1995 - I Care Because You Do
1996 - Richard D. James Album
2001 - Drukqs

Track Number Track Name
01 Acrid Avid Jam Shred
02 The Waxen Pith
03 Wax The Nip

- Seems to keep everything in good order.

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #17 of 66
I have 200 GB, the general scheme looks like this:
\<Artist> - <quality>\<Year> - <Album>\<Track> - <Title>
or
\<Artist> - <quality>\<Studio or Live>\<Year> - <Album>\<Track> - <Title>

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #19 of 66
Right now I just keep,
Artist
Album
Album

I leave quality out of it as they are all FLAC. As I said though, when ripping my CD's I make sure the tags and all are setup properly or the next thing you know, you have a big mess of half named files and tagless media. I was considering Genre, but I find some of it to be opinion rather then set fact.
I have many playlists, mine the GF's..etc..

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #20 of 66
I use artist and album, too. Occasionally, when I can't remember the name of something, but I know its genre, I'll enable the genre column to make browsing easier. I still have lots of compressed music on my disk, so I put " - lossless" at the end of the album title for all the uncompressed albums, so that I can easily filter on that. I put "Audiophile" in the "Comments" for particularly good recordings.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #22 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Artist (Last Name, First Name for proper names; "The" to the end, normal order for stage names)
Aphex Twin
Beatles, The
Hendrix, Jimi

Year - Album Name
1995 - I Care Because You Do
1996 - Richard D. James Album
2001 - Drukqs

Track Number Track Name
01 Acrid Avid Jam Shred
02 The Waxen Pith
03 Wax The Nip

- Seems to keep everything in good order.

x2

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #23 of 66
I don’t do any organizing. That’s what tags are for. My files are named “artist – songtitle.flac” in case I have more than one version of a particular song by separate artists. I do append (live) to the end of the songtitle when appropriate.

I use MediaMonkey for my library software. It will (re-)organize by anything in the tags: genre, album, year, etc. It will ignore ‘the’ so The Beatles falls between Aphex and Cocteau for sorting. It will also do mass retagging. I used to have a genre called International for songs that didn’t fit anywhere else. Then I told it International = World. Done. Still not perfect, but for me genres are a work in progress.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #25 of 66
Use MusicBrainz Picard - job done.

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #26 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don’t do any organizing. That’s what tags are for. My files are named “artist – songtitle.flac” in case I have more than one version of a particular song by separate artists. I do append (live) to the end of the songtitle when appropriate.

I use MediaMonkey for my library software. It will (re-)organize by anything in the tags: genre, album, year, etc. It will ignore ‘the’ so The Beatles falls between Aphex and Cocteau for sorting. It will also do mass retagging. I used to have a genre called International for songs that didn’t fit anywhere else. Then I told it International = World. Done. Still not perfect, but for me genres are a work in progress.

This is how I do it as well! Any reason I should organize them in folders as well??

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #27 of 66
Well it is up to you.
Personally I keep the organized in albums.
The album has the songs, Cue sheet, cover, other artwork.
etc..
That is partly the reason I put up this thread to get ideas of how others are organizing their music.

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #28 of 66
I have them organized this way:
Artist > Album (alphabetical)

But, I again it is organized with tags using Mediamonkey.

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #29 of 66
I thought you meant they were just all in a big list...every song from every album in the same folder.
Anyway, I found the more media I accumulate the greater the need for organization and proper tagging becomes. It seem others think the same way in regards to keeping things organized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back