How do you organize music on your PC?
Mar 16, 2004 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

finleyville

100+ Head-Fier
Anyway...

So I just bought an iRiver iHP-120 DAP and am about to download my Mp3 collection onto it. I have about 650 songs total. Unfortunately, only about 15 are from any single artist and most of them are one-offs. It seems sort of pointless to have a separate folder for every artist when there would only be 1-3 songs on average per folder. As far as playlists go, I usually make my own mixes in winamp. Anybody have a different idea how this could be done? How does everyone else organize theirs?

Mar 16, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 17
It depends on the type of music and where it came from. My ripped CDs and Emusic MP3s are organized (in separate folders) by artist and then album. Any random Usenet or P2P downloads just get everything but their genre, artist, and track name tags removed and put into a single folder.

Mar 16, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 17
I have three folders for different genres. Files are named "(artist) - (title)". That seems to organize them pretty well for me. In Foobar, I also have them organized by album and track number, and I use tabbed playlists for playing CDs.

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 17
Not all of my single songs have ID tags on them. Is there any easy way to automatically add these tags to single songs? I don't even know how to edit existing tags. As you can tell I am a Mp3 dummy. Sorry for all the simple questions.
confused.gif

Mar 16, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 17
I don't.
Foobar is a mess with more then 10.000 songs.
The albums however, are kept in seperate directories, it's just the damn mp3 tags that mess up or are misssing.
I tried to use an automatic program to tag them from a database (much like you have for cd's) but a lot of the tags were incorrect, I.E. the database sucked from wrong entries.

Mar 16, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 17
Each album in mine has an M3U file and its own directory, and is kept in a folder called Tunes.

I then use the "My Music" folder to keep shortcuts of M3U files, using WinXP "Show in Groups" feature in alphabetical order. Works for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 17
Under Gentoo GNU/Linux 1.4 I organize my mp3 albums into my /Music directory once they are fully renamed and id3 tagged (both id3v1 and id3v2).

Once I have downloaded an album, I run mpck on it to check for errors, then run kid3 to edit id3 tags and rename the mp3s to my naming standards (track - artist - song.mp3 all lowercase). I then organise the album into /Music/<Artist>/<Album>/. I don't have any single mp3s stored on my computer, only a couple in temporary download dirs.

Mar 16, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by asbradbury
Under Gentoo GNU/Linux 1.4 I organize my mp3 albums into my /Music directory once they are fully renamed and id3 tagged (both id3v1 and id3v2).

Once I have downloaded an album, I run mpck on it to check for errors, then run kid3 to edit id3 tags and rename the mp3s to my naming standards (track - artist - song.mp3 all lowercase). I then organise the album into /Music/<Artist>/<Album>/. I don't have any single mp3s stored on my computer, only a couple in temporary download dirs.

Same here. I'll either add albums on a command line or if i'm feeling wussy drag directories to xmms with a gui file browser like endeavour.

Mar 16, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #12 of 17
this is how mine goes:
<music folder>
............<band name folder>
.........................<album title 'year>
.............................................song. mp3

very efficience, no need for tag.

Mar 16, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 17
I used MusicBrainz to fix my bad tags (for my iPod), but then my folder structure is similar to terrymx's

music folder -> band -> album -> song (track# song_title)

Mar 16, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by finleyville
Not all of my single songs have ID tags on them. Is there any easy way to automatically add these tags to single songs? I don't even know how to edit existing tags. As you can tell I am a Mp3 dummy. Sorry for all the simple questions.
confused.gif

You can usually use your existing music playing software or the programs mentioned here. Personally, I use The Godfather and find it to be very good for naming mp3s. There's an easy way to add names to albums but not to singles. Sorry. It's going to painful. That's why I don't download anymore....because the tags are screwed up all the time.

Mar 17, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #15 of 17
I have file folders according to genre. I put another folder inside those if applicable for any albums I own. Other than that they're thrown into the genre folders. I keep view on alphabetical order. The songs look like this:

ARTIST - SONG TITLE.mp3

Works for me. When I listen in foobar, the list is so big that opening a folder of 200 songs is still easy to sort through.

edit: I gave up on tags a long time ago. Don't bother with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back