How do you organise digital music?
Sep 20, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rreynol
Artist - Album Name [Modifiers] as the folder name and then Track # - Song Title as the file name with full ID3V2 tags on the mp3s.

I would like to try another scheme but renaming all existing music would be a pain.

Example

dream theater - master of puppets [bootleg, vbr]

There is a program called "The GodFather" that will do renaming for you, I have had to use it a lot with torrented music and when I just plain screw up on the naming convention when initialy ripping a CD.

Sep 20, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #17 of 28
I have mine set like this:

GENRE\ARTIST - Album\

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Potatoe1313
There is a program called "The GodFather" that will do renaming for you, I have had to use it a lot with torrented music and when I just plain screw up on the naming convention when initialy ripping a CD.

WOW! Cool find! Just using it now, seems really cool.

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Potatoe1313

I use a program called Tag&Rename to do most of mine. Its a really nice program but unfortunately, not free. I didnt find out about "The GodFather" program until after I had already started using T&R.

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #20 of 28
I sort my music Genre --> Artist - Album. It has worked fine for me. Though it's sometimes hard to find the right genre for some artists.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #21 of 28
I have everything in a "finished music/source of rip/Artist - Album (year)[format]" Source of rip can be pedros and other.
Foobar does have database view and search plugins, thats why I don't bother with per-genre directory structuring.

Sep 24, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #23 of 28
Artist/Album/Num Artist - Song
M:\Moody Blues, The\Days of Future Passed\06 Moody Blues, The - Evening- The Sun Set, Twilight Time.flac

For my DAP:
Artist/Year Album/Num Song
I:\Faith No More\1992 Angel Dust\04 RV.mp3

One of these days, I'll get them all renamed similarly to the way I have it for the DAP--can't beat the simplicity, even if the filename alone does not give all needed info.

Sep 24, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #24 of 28
Here is the way I do it:

Genre>Artist - Album Name

example

Jazz>Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Rock> Rage Against The Machine - RAGE

Sep 26, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #27 of 28
My music/artist/album/track#-track name
After ripping them with EAC, I drag each folder into MusicMatch. There they form my library which I can view by album or artist or even each track individually, either alphabetically forward or backward. It is so simple to change views.
I'm sorry, but I find genres to confining to use.

Sep 27, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #28 of 28
I try to shove as much info into the directory as possible (except for genre, since my stuff is tagged under at least a dozen different genres).

Artist/Various Artists -> [Year] Album (Remastered, if applicable) (Codec and bitrate) -> Track # - Title

If it's a VA album, I put the artist between track # and title. Maybe a bit overkill, but it works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back