How do you measure sound stage?
Mar 15, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #586 of 878
Audiophool terms don’t describe sound, they describe how the sound makes them feel. They don’t relate to aspects of sound fidelity like response or distortion. They describe analogies to visual or tactile symbols that are irrelevant to the sound they’re describing.

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #587 of 878
The question is “simply” the effect of replacing a single device that measures well in a reproduction chain on human ability to reliably detect differences in an environment where they are very familiar with the sound characteristics of their system in that room or with those headphones. Period.
TBH, that isn’t “simply the question … period” (paraphrasing), it’s just one of several/numerous questions that’s been routinely rolled-out by audiophiles for many decades to try to explain the reason how/why they hear things that are actually inaudible. They’re nonsense questions because science has directly and indirectly already addressed them and moved on, typically decades before the audiophile community even thought of the question or in some cases even before there was an audiophile community. Mostly, they’re questions invented by audiophile marketers/reviewers in order to contradict or at least cast doubt on (and therefore justify dismissing) established science. AFAIK, your “question” was first raised by professional audiophile reviewers in the mid/late 1980’s, in order to cast doubt on and dismiss the growing trend of controlled DBTs/DBXs demonstrating no audible differences between even very significantly different components (with vastly different price points and even vastly different design topologies). Of course though, it was a question actually asked by science/engineers long before audiophile reviewers resurrected it to mislead consumers. Think about it; music/sound engineers have formally trained listening skills and spend 8 hours a day (or more), 5 or more days a week, working in a room (studio), doing nothing other than very carefully listening to/analysing “sound characteristics”. How many audiophiles listen to their audiophile systems 40-60 hours a week? And even if they do, much of that time is just casual listening, so who do you think can most “reliably detect differences in an environment where they are familiar with the sound characteristics of their system in that room”? The reliable evidence, collected over 70+ years, does not support the idea/question you are repeating. There are many factors which do have an effect, such as the duration of echoic memory/fast switching, system accuracy, specific training, playback levels, etc., but familiarity of the listening environment isn’t one of them and numerous controlled tests demonstrate this. There have been many online DBTs where subjects use their own systems, many DBTs in studios where the resident engineer does no better than other trained subjects, even the occasional formal DBT run on a audiophiles’ own systems/environments and there’s no evidence to support any effect of familiarity on the ability to reliably detect differences.
I have owned at least 10 different DACs. None of them sounded the same to me in my systems, although I am quite sure they all measure near or over 100db in signal to noise ratio. I am not alone.
You’re definitely not alone. In fact, amongst those who actively listen for differences between DACs you’d be pretty much alone, or at least in a very small minority, if they had “sounded the same”! I’ve certainly heard differences countless times and I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head that I’ve ever known personally who hasn’t. The question is why, which leads to your next point:
Three reasons or combination of reasons are responsible for this: [1] it is all in mine and others heads, [2] there is something going on with how different DACs interact with other components in the reproduction chain that results in audibly different performance, or [3] there is something going on between different design implementation of different DACs that results in audibly noticeable sound reproduction that is not captured on the bench, regardless of the systems they are deployed in.
No! Bizarrely you’ve not only missed a reason but the most obvious reason, there should be 4 in your list rather than 3. I’ll deal with all of them but start with the one you’ve missed: [4] There is something going on between different design implementation of DACs that results in noticeable sound differences that IS “captured on the bench”. For example a NOS DAC is a different design implementation and can result in noticeable sound differences which are measurable. But a far more common example is that most consumer DACs have at least somewhat different output voltages, which again is measurable and “audibly noticeable”. This last example is ultimately irrelevant of course because an amp can be used to compensate, unfortunately though, very few audiophiles compensate (volume match) accurately enough to stop this design difference being “audibly noticeable”.

[1] If #4 above has been eliminated, then this is by far the most likely reason. Being “in your head” (a perceptual error) is very common, has been demonstrated countless times, over more than a century and a half and certain aspects of audio reproduction actually relies on perceptual error, the stereo effect being the most obvious one.

[2] A DAC only interacts with two things: A. Whatever is supplying the digital data, it’s input, which has to comply with international digital protocol specifications and so will not have any audible effect unless something is broken, and B. An amp connected to the DAC’s output, which again will have no audible effect as the whole point of an amp is to amplify the voltage/signal and any competently designed amp for the task will have a far higher input impedance than any DAC’s output impedance. So again, the only possibility of an audible effect is if something is broken. There is no reliable evidence for anything else, a “C” option.

[3] Again, there’s no reliable evidence that such a thing even exists, let alone is audible. While science cannot prove a negative, there is a very substantial body of reliable evidence, going back two centuries or so, indicating such a thing does not exist. We know that sound is just air pressure variations and that these variations can be represented analogously with an electrical signal, there’s not even a hint that this knowledge is somehow wrong and that there’s something else.

So in the complete absence of any reliable evidence for your #2 and #3 reasons but a huge wealth of very solid evidence for reasons #1 and #4, we’re going to need some quite extraordinary evidence before we even consider #2 or #3 a remote possibility.
I am not a speaker guy but for example can a set of speakers change sonically due simply to the output impedance of the amplifier like the Campfire Audio IEM in my recent experience ?
Sure, even cables can make an audible difference, as given a long enough cable run, the power requirements of speakers and speakers with a low enough input impedance, then wire gauge can have an audible impact. Although in practice this would come under “user error”.
Does that potentially relate to other electronics or is there no relationship at all between output and input impedance of DACs, amps, pre-amps, speakers etc etc
It shouldn’t because the impedance between electronic components should follow the modern (50+ years) convention of audio components having a relatively low output impedance and the input having a relatively high impedance. There can be some rare exceptions however, for example some turntable outputs can have a relatively high output impedance.

G

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #588 of 878
When you listen to DACs for differences and you don’t apply any controls to the comparison, you’ll likely find differences. But they aren’t real.

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #589 of 878
It's like audiophiles and the sound science guys are living on different planets. For a layperson the situation is utterly confusing.
Yep, audiophiles living on Pandora is my guess for which planet, because it’s fictional and their search for “unobtainium” takes precedence over everything, including any ethical considerations. Audiophile marketing, reviews and cherry picked testimonials have no ethical consideration that they’re deliberately misleading and therefore sometimes “utterly confusing” laypeople, the only consideration is high profit margin products.

G

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #590 of 878
In another thread I read the following description of a dac: "The dac sounds "digital", diffused, grainy, lacking macro and micro dynamics, lacking resolution, sound stage shape, placement and depth, lacking weight. Compared to my other dacs, this one sounded like AM radio."

It's like audiophiles and the sound science guys are living on different planets. For a layperson the situation is utterly confusing.

The difference is that the science guys want to actually understand what they are hearing and why they are hearing it.

Conversely the “audiophile community” want to delight in their hobby and talk crap with other audiophiles about their equipment. They are enthusiastic and want to spend money on upgrades so they buy into the advertising and online chatter about gear and thus have a very strong expectation of what they will hear from their new upgraded DAC. As such one part of the brain muscles in and alters what the auditory senses perceive so that what they expect to hear becomes what they do hear.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #592 of 878
The difference is that the science guys want to actually understand what they are hearing and why they are hearing it.

Conversely the “audiophile community” want to delight in their hobby and talk crap with other audiophiles about their equipment. They are enthusiastic and want to spend money on upgrades so they buy into the advertising and online chatter about gear and thus have a very strong expectation of what they will hear from their new upgraded DAC. As such one part of the brain muscles in and alters what the auditory senses perceive so that what they expect to hear becomes what they do hear.
nice arm chair psycho analysis. But back on earth 1, the audio community also wants to understand why they hear differences say between gsx mk2 and wa33 EE

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #594 of 878
Mar 15, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #595 of 878
The only way to understand home audio components is to understand how digital audio works and how it relates to how our ears hear. The people who believe the snake oil are the ones who say, “I don’t understand any of this stuff, I just trust my ears and what other audiophiles and equipment manufacturers tell me.”

When you throw up your hands and say that you aren’t interested in expending any effort to find out, you won’t ever know.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #596 of 878
All that said, I think of myself as a careful listener, and reasonably objective. As stated before, I assemble power cables and have built some fairly conventional speakers. I say for speakers, I generally got what I paid for in crossover and transducer parts if I am careful with crossover points, cabinet volume and resonance control.
There isn't objective listening without measures that remove subjectivism such as DBT.

For power cables there is more scatter in-terms of price of components to performance. The most expensive cable I have built is not the best sounding, and some $100 assembled cables from China sound better to me than cables I have assembled with >$400 in parts. I measure each cable for continuity, resistance, capacitance and shorting between leads to assure I don’t blow a fuse or worse. One of the cables I built with silver plated copper plugs sounds way different than any of the other cables I have built or used. And while it has the lowest measured resistance of any cable I have built, the treble is just too hot for many applications.
How does silver plated copper plugs make a difference in the sound? I have not tested these things, but as a person with university degree in electric engineering/acoustics/signal processing this claim sounds totally bonkers to me. Almost as crazy as if someone said food cooked on Thursdays tastes the best eaten from plates manufactured on Thursdays. Audio devices should have proper power supplies providing clean regulated power regardless of what kind of cable connects the unit to the mains. Maybe I am the most moronic electric engineer in the world, but I just don't figure out how to regulators and capacitors in the power supply "see" if the material of the plug. I have always used the power cables that come with the gear. Seems to work fine!

I started doing very careful listening to DACs in the service of testing my different power cable designs. PC design and construction affected relative emphasis of bass and treble produced by a DAC, and in some cases really tighten or loosen bass performance with a subwoofer. Different PCs rarely had a big effect on perceived soundstage but I noticed that changing DACs and speaker cables did have an effect.
Speaker cables can make a difference. I use thick enough cheap normal cables and the sound is fine. Then again, the impedance of my speakers is "easy."

I do not refute that listeners expectations can be affected by well dressed cables or DAC systems consisting of separate boxes of machined aluminum containing clocks, DAC chip sets and power supplies. I will admit that I have very likely been subject to such biases and will continue to be.
We all are subject to such biases. I assume 90 % of all differences I "hear" are tricks of my mind.

But in my real day to day world of listening, tinkering and optimizing components in my systems and that I am very familiar with, I have sometimes noticed differences. The limited blind tests I have run with others indicate that when audible differences exist, they are repeatable and conservative. And sometimes a fancy nylon mesh wrapped interconnect sounds indistinguishable from one from the hardware store. YMMV. I realize its on me to bring robust and defensible empirical evidence to this and other forums to reject the null hypothesis of no difference in audible performance related to soundstage or any other characteristic of reproduced sound between well designed electronics.

kn
Sometimes there are real differences in audio. The question is does it even matter? Do you need to upgrade in order to enjoy music? Is your hobby about upgrading and finding differences rather than listening to music? I concentrate on music. I have a good enough system to enjoy music and whenever I don't enjoy it the reason seems to be

1) The music isn't to my taste (extending my taste may help with this)
2) The music was produced/recorded/mixed/mastered badly.

Never have I felt I need another DAC or silver plated copper plugs. Go figure...

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #597 of 878
The dead giveaway that it isn’t about sound is when you see someone with an sig file listing seven amps, a dozen different DACs and fifteen different sets of cans. It’s obvious that it’s a shopping fetish for a lot of people. When they get some money in their pocket, they automatically go shopping.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #598 of 878
@knownothing2
Some related studies I think you might find interesting.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1053811917309680

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.0060138

@71 dB
If the capacitance of the cable is insufficient to carry the required current to achieve a target Vrms at the input, does it not cause feedback errors that essentially echos current back to the source, while too much capacitance results in too low a Vrms at the input? I figured this was the principle reason cables matter, maybe I'm wrong?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #599 of 878
The only way to understand home audio components is to understand how digital audio works and how it relates to how our ears hear. The people who believe the snake oil are the ones who say, “I don’t understand any of this stuff, I just trust my ears and what other audiophiles and equipment manufacturers tell me.”

When you throw up your hands and say that you aren’t interested in expending any effort to find out, you won’t ever know.
You lost us at snake oil. When one listens to gsx mk2 then wa33EE there are differences. Check it out yourself. So after much energy with hands relaxed, we still have no answers to why , in this case amps, can sound different.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #600 of 878
The dead giveaway that it isn’t about sound is when you see someone with an sig file listing seven amps, a dozen different DACs and fifteen different sets of cans. It’s obvious that it’s a shopping fetish for a lot of people. When they get some money in their pocket, they automatically go shopping.
The collecting of things are incidental, coincidental, and confounding issues as to a simple observation. One can start a gambling, hoarding, or collecting thread to discuss that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back