How do you measure sound stage?
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #466 of 878
Audible transparency most definitely *IS* a scientific term and the thresholds of transparency have been established by controlled listening tests.
What are those thresholds? What units are they in?
Since you don't understand the context for my use of the term, I'll clarify...

Audible transparency is sound fidelity where the level of error falls below the ability of human ears to hear the error. I can whisper a mile away from you and my whisper exists and is measurable, but you can't hear my whisper from that great a distance.
So it just means "audible".
When you know the established thresholds, and you have experience about what the numbers on the page represent in real world sound, you can come up with a pretty accurate idea of what is audibly transparent and what isn't. For instance, the noise floor of a CD is around -90dB. Your ears hear between 40-50dB of dynamic range at a time, and most living rooms have their own noise floor. So in order to hear the quietest sound on a CD, you would have to boost the volume beyond the point you incur hearing damage. I call that "audibly transparent".
To me that just means audible. I'm not sure what transparent refers to.
Many DACs are made from off the shelf parts and use the same basic designs. These parts are manufactured in bulk to meet digital standards. It shouldn't be surprising that two DACs sound the same. Under the hood, they are the same basic thing.
Yes, I would agree that things made the same way out of the same stuff should sound similar.
It isn't difficult to make transparent DAC. Apple did it for a retail price of $8. You can spend more money, but if a DAC is transparent, it won't sound any better to human ears.
If "audibly transparent" means audible, I'd agree totally.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #468 of 878

It depends on the aspect of sound you're talking about. Level is a matter of dBs. Frequency is the frequency in Hertz and the degree of deviation in dB. Timing is measured in slivers of seconds. Distortion is measured either by percentage or how far down it sits below peak in dB. Noise is measured in how far it sits below peak in dB.

The threshold of audibility is the point where any more error would be audible, and any less would be inaudible. You determine that with controlled listening tests.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #470 of 878
Yes, we totally agree: my increased emotional response to improvements in the audio signal path are because those improvements are audible.

Yes. Musicianship and musicality are 100% audible. That is what elicits emotional response. Fidelity doesn't. It can only be accurate or not accurate to varying degrees.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #471 of 878
Relatively speaking this all reads like a love fest ❤️ which is a pleasant change.

He still isn't listening and he's valiantly trying to twist my words and set up straw men. I've stated it clearly now. Either he gets it, or he doesn't. I think he gets it, he's just arguing for argument's sake. He'll go right back to "I hear it so it must be true."

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #472 of 878
He still isn't listening and he's valiantly trying to twist my words and set up straw men. I've stated it clearly now. Either he gets it, or he doesn't. I think he gets it, he's just arguing for argument's sake. He'll go right back to "I hear it so it must be true."
Oh well, so much for trying to cut you a break.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #473 of 878
As if you are doing me a favor.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #474 of 878
As if you are doing me a favor
Well, with the incredible nonsense you constantly spew, you could certainly use a few favors.

But I'll let you go back to your church where everything is just like you want it to be and you can pray to your god of "audible transparency", whatever that is lol.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #476 of 878
Yep. I told you he was just trying to lead me in. I answered for the benefit of the lurkers who might want to listen.

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #477 of 878
Sales/Capitalism 101. New products need to be released to keep the company profitable when older models see their sales cycle slowing. Regardless of if the new product is meaningfully "better".

When Benchmark saw sales for the DAC-1 flagging, they introduce the DAC-2 to give customers both something to buy and something to "upgrade" to.
So there absolutely could not be any audible difference between current and previous models and they’re only in it for the money? Perhaps this DAC is for you then: https://echohifi.com/details/18146/Benchmark_DAC-1

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #478 of 878
IMG_2893.png

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:24 AM Post #479 of 878
So why did Benchmark build two subsequent models that cost more than double the original DAC 1 that supposedly measured “perfectly”?
The DAC 1 did not measure “perfectly”, it’s impossible for any DAC or electronic component to measure perfectly because of the laws of physics but Benchmark did not claim it measured perfectly and no one who knows anything about audio measurements would “supposedly” believe it did. So yet again, you just made-up another falsehood to then argue a strawman!!
[1] Maybe it didn’t measure “perfectly” after all, and the improvements made an audible difference. [2] Since you can’t seem to hear audible differences in electronics and refuse to take anyone’s word for it who can, you will never know.
1. The DAC-1 never measured perfectly but it did measure all the artefacts/imperfections to be well below audibility. The DAC-2 and later models also did not measure perfectly (as that’s impossible) but they did measure the artefacts/imperfections to be even lower than the DAC-1 (and therefore obviously even further below audibility). So the DAC-2 is an improvement over the DAC-1 but not audibly different. Is that really such a hard concept to grasp?
2. Again, another falsehood to argue a strawman. How many times are you going to be so rude? Firstly, of course I can “hear audible differences in electronics”, it would be impossible to do my job or teach it to others if I couldn’t. But, of course I cannot hear differences which are inaudible (as the measurements prove and Benchmark themselves state!) and obviously I’m not going to take the word of anyone who claims they can hear inaudible differences without substantial evidence, even less so if it’s just sighted audiophile testimonials and reviewer reports!
Not just jitter, but the sum of how the digital and analog sections of a DAC perform with other elements in the audio chain to maintain the pace, rhythm and timing of the original performance as perceived by the listener.
Huh? Jitter is defined as “timing error/deviation”, so if some DAC could not “maintain the pace, rhythm and timing” how could it be “not just jitter”? How could a failure to maintain the pace, rhythm and timing be due to something other than some sort of timing error/deviation?
“Timing” is an important element in accurately reproducing “syncopation” in musical performances, one of the elements in composition and performance that makes music interesting and involving to listeners.
Yes it is, very much so. However, even the best musicians are only accurate to a few milli-seconds, while the jitter (timing error/deviation) of even cheap consumer DACs from around 30 years ago was about 150 pico-seconds. Baring in mind that a pico-second is a billionth of a milli-second, maybe you’d like to explain how that could affect musical performances that are only accurate to a few milli-secs?
Exactly.
They'll claim to know what Benchmark does, what all audio manufacturers do in fact, what transients are audible and which aren't, what's "audibly transparent" (whatever the hell that means) who's susceptible to marketing, what you personally can hear and can't...basically there's no end to what they'll claim to know.
Notice, however, with no proof whatsoever. It's all just hot air.
What do you mean “no proof whatsoever”? We have objective measurements of how Benchmark’s DAC-1 performs, I personally (and others) have done a DBT with a DAC-1 and Benchmark themselves stated there’s no audible difference. So, completely contrary to “no proof whatsoever”, how much more proof could there be?! Maybe you’re right though, maybe everyone who’s done a DBT is deaf, plus all the measurements are wrong, plus Benchmark themselves don’t “know what Benchmark does”, while you do know because you’ve got the proof of your audiophile ears and reports from reviewers. Thanks for clearing that up for us in a sound science discussion forum, lol!
It's the certainty that they know the unknowable that I object to.
But it’s not unknowable. In fact not only is it knowable, it is actually known, demonstrably so! So how can you object to the certainty of what is known unless either you’re just trolling or just you personally are not aware of what is knowable and known? Even more bizarrely, you do not object to the certainty of those claiming to hear the inaudible because “no proof whatsoever” is not “just hot air” if it’s made by a middle aged audiophile with no formal listening skills training and shot hearing! ROFL!
The claim that you're only hearing things because of biases you can't avoid means that you're hearing things that aren't there. Well, of course - if you can't avoid the biases, you can't avoid them!
What claim of “hearing things because of biases you can’t avoid”? If we can’t avoid biases, why do you think the DBT or ABX methodologies were invented, not to mention the video recently posted (post #345) which proves that a bias can be avoided by just closing your eyes? You don’t seem to know even the basics, that there are numerous different types of biases, some of which cannot be avoided but many of which can be.
So who the hell cares what measurements say?
You mean apart from equipment designers who couldn’t design equipment without them, professional sound engineers who need to meet specifications in order to be professionals and those who just want to know the objective performance of audio equipment?
So you don’t know what the thresholds are or even what units they’re in? That’s astonishing, why would someone come to a sound science discussion forum and argue endlessly about thresholds, if they don’t even know what they are? Incidentally, level thresholds are measured in decibels, frequency thresholds in Hertz, jitter thresholds in nano-seconds, distortion in percent, etc. Ask if you don’t know!
To me that just means audible. I'm not sure what transparent refers to. …. If "audibly transparent" means audible, I'd agree totally.
So you don’t know what audible means, you’re not sure what transparent means and you’ve therefore got “audibly transparent” pretty much backwards. But don’t let that stop you from another few years arguing about them in a sound science discussion forum and insulting those who do know they mean. LMAO!
I don't call Gregorio's knowledge "hot air" and "religion".
Of course you don’t.
He has a great deal of knowledge (as do I).
You claim to be a professional in the industry, to have worked with great engineers who work in world class studios and have “a great deal of knowledge” but have just demonstrated you don’t even know the basics of biases, don’t know that professional engineers must “care about what measurements say”, don’t know what human hearing thresholds are or what units are used for measurement and don’t know what audible, transparent or “audibly transparent” means! So apparently, “a great deal of knowledge“ doesn’t even cover the fundamental basics. Now that’s funny!
Yes, we totally agree: my increased emotional response to improvements in the audio signal path are because those improvements are audible.
Glad that got cleared up.
You’re “glad that got cleared up” by misrepresenting what was stated and coming an unsupported conclusion? Yep, welcome to the audiophile sound science forum in a parallel anti-matter universe, where everything is exactly backwards! LOL, at least it’s entertaining.

G

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #480 of 878
I think we understand their arguments better than they understand ours. Not that they’re correct, we know what they’re going to say because dozens of people who know as little as they do have been here in the past making the same wrong statements. They all blend into one for me. I can’t keep who is who straight. It’s like a whole world of Lou Costellos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back